Question about broken knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently broke my knee from a fall while on vacation. I had surgery and my knee is now held together with wires and pins. My doctor has put me in a rigid brace and said I could not bend my leg and could only put 10 kilos of weight on it. I am finding it difficult to take care of personal grooming as most projects like shower chairs assume you can at least bend the leg. Any advice?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I can't help you with this one...I would guess your surgeon would have provided better info regarding your recover and bathing. I know for me the hospital sent me home with these bathing wipe's that I use to "shower" and I wash my hair in the sink. I can't shower until I get my staples out next week. Sorry to hear about your knee...sounds painful.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

So sorry for what happened to your knee . I fell last year and fractured my knee cap in 3 places . They were all stable so did not need surgery . I did however have to wear the leg brace for 4 weeks . Ugh! A friend bought me a shower chair that I have to say was the best thing ever . It was fairly large where the one leg was on the outside of the tub .It had a back to it so I could lean back making me feel more stable . Hard to explain but I was able to have shower on me and not get leg wet , I had to swing the whole leg in and out . Got easier as I started to get used to having the leg brace on.

I didn't want her to bring it over but she insisted it would work as she had gone through exactly what you are .(had to have surgery after a fall ).

Good luck !

Debbie

• Posted

If you have a walk in shower and not one over the bath, I can suggest

a rubber leg stocking that will keep your leg dressing totally dry.

You pull it up over the dressing and then you can shower and not worry

about plaster getting wet. My husband uses this over his false leg. It is

very efficient. If you think this would be of use to you, I can get you the name

of it. Susan x

• Posted

Oh my word what an awful thing to happen you have my sympathy and I do.hope you mend well. Where do you live? All I can suggest is an Internet search for disabled . suppliers Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, it is called Bloccs waterproof cast protector. They are available on Amazon

i think ,Boots x

• Posted

Talk to your Dr but I'm guessing no Ben means exactly that. You may have to resort to sponge baths for a period of time. When you b put a break in even The slightest motion you stand a chance of continuall rebreaking it and causing a long delay in the healing pro was. If you have access to an occupational therapist they cans give you tips on special equipment and shortcuts.
  • Posted

Hello everyone.  It has been a while since my last post.  I am now 7.5 weeks off surgery for a fractured kneecap.  My immobilizer brace was removed July 8 and I have been on one crutch and a stabilizing brace when needed since.  I just started physical therapy.  My issue is this. I went to see my othopedist yesterday and he is not happy with my progress--I have a 30 degree bend.  He is dismissing all the exercises that my physical therapist has recommended and told me that what I really need to do is heel slides 4-6 daily and slide through the pain.  He also dismisses my PT's observation that part of my problem is that the hamstring is not functioning.  She is having me do leg lifts, heel slides, and bends to strengthen the hamstring.  I now do her exercises twice a day and add in 4 or so more heel slides.  The problem is that my knee is now really sore and stiff, even though I can bend it more.  Is this normal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.