Question about caffeine addiction

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! When I was younger all I drank was iced tea and a can or bottle of soda once a day. Not a whole lot when it came to caffeine. Then I discovered coffee and got into that until Mother Nature decided to be a cruel mistress and give me an allergy to it. 1 cup and it's very likely I'll get a case of the runs. But I found energy drinks are alright, though, the caffeine doesn't do much for me. It doesn't make me more awake but I have noticed I am more tired as of late. Can I reduce my addiction down to where it used to be where iced tea with an occasional can of soda or does it have to be 100% cut off? My worry is that I go out a lot, and I don't see a lot of caffeine free drinks besides water or fruit flavored beverages. Water is ok but boring as snot. And the only added flavors are all fruit based which is just yuck. I had a bit of a Nestea phase at one point, a 1 lt bottle of some random flavor, once a night and I got a bit burnt on fruit flavors. So I am finding it difficult to go 100% caffeine free. But every food establishment serves soda and, usually iced tea too.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I think you should start drinking water or natural juices  - def. often. It will be much healthier. Don't forget that all of drinks such as Nestea other frozen teas or other drinks contain a lot of sugar. They don't  have too many vitamins. It will be best if you do basic research if you feel tired. These may be symptoms of  anemia for example. Few years ago, I drank a lot of cola - it turned out that it it was really bad for my health and I had too high a sugar level. I was tired and I felt weak. Try to  makeat  home - iced teas or other juices - there u can find def much more vitamins, are more healthier and contain less dyes and preservatives. And for  pretty sure I would do basic blood tests.

• Posted

@Datadragon - I don't think that answers my question but when I get a moment I'll slog through all that science stuff to figure it out. >.<

@Flower300 - Right, but if I stop drinking Monsters and other energy drinks and only drink iced tea (a mild natural caffeine) and the occasional soda will I eventually stop feeling bad and 'even out' as it were at that level? Also, fruit juice is nice, but do you know how much sugar is in it? Diabetics use orange juice or apple juice to quickly shoot their sugar levels up when they get too low. With a family history of diabetes I try to avoid sugar as much as humanly possible. Can't avoid all of it in our fast paced world especially when you eat out a lot like I do. But I do try for the sugarless options when presented, like iced tea, like Coke Zero, like Diet Dr Pepper, like water etc.

Anyway, my original question is, if I drop the high caffeine stuff and return to just iced tea and a can / bottle of soda on occasion will I eventually 'even out' to my pre high caffeine days or will I need to go caffeine free to do so ?

• Posted

There is really a lot of sugar everywhere. Natural juices contain fructose, in juice from mass production there are many different substances unhealthy for people. It all depends on your body. The best solution is to switch to NATURAL beverages that we make at home, on the water or choose products that are BIO. You must try different options. No one knows your body as well as you, and it may even turn out that the reason is completely different 
  • Posted

Hi, my colleague always had the runs when he drank coffee. I gave him green tea as an alternative. Now, he no longer drinks coffee. Tea (i.e., green, black, oolong, etc.) has less caffeine than coffee. Consider starting with green tea, but if the caffeine content is not enough, start with black tea or oolong instead. You can then move to lighter teas, such as white teas. Then, finally, herbal teas (which lack caffeine). You don't need to add sugar to any of these teas. Enjoy their flavor as is. This may help you go back to your pre high-caffeine days. I hope this helps!

• Posted

I hope so, bleh. I feel the difference. Between the lack of sleep and the fact caffeine no longer makes me feel more alert. Yeah. >.< But I love the taste of coffee and the herbal form of coffee really doesn't taste right. sad Oh well. Thank you. :D

• Posted

Llloyd, I also love the taste of coffee, we grew up in Rhode Island, in grade school, you could get milk in the morning, you had a choice plain milk, strawberry milk or coffee milk. You can buy coffee syrup in the grocery store to make coffee milk. We had coffee ice cream in all the stores. If you went to Massachusetts or Connecticut it was not available. One of the many unique things about RI.

Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.