question about CBC

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 35 female with two kids (4 and 2). I have had many CBC tests taken in the last year, and in that time period my RBC and hemoglobin have declined. March of last year, RBC were 4.5M/ul, and have now dropped to 4. Hemoglobin was 13.5g/dL, and is now 12.2.

I have been told by multiple physicians that this is no cause for worry. However, I do have some strange symptoms going on. I often get dizzy (especially in the afternoons). I have upped my protein intake, thinking this dizziness might be hypoglycemia. Sometimes it does seem to help; other times the dizziness persists, despite having eaten lots of protein and calories. 

My iron, b12 and ferritin are all in the normal range. I have read that when iron STORES are normal and circulating iron is low, this can be a sign of chronic disease. This concerns me, but because my levels are technically in the (very low) end of the normal range for RBC and hemoglobin, doctors seem to dismiss my concerns.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

CBC is normal .... the values are slightly less and its value depends on many factors but within normal range. 

Dizzines maybe related to fluid loss or vitmain B/folate deficiency. Have it checked. 

• Posted

If you have them it would be useful to see the actual values for your iron, b12 and ferritin. Things are often marked normal but sometimes can cause symptoms for some individuals. 
    • Posted

As of Aug 31, 2016:

Iron 18

Tibc 44

Transferrin .40

Ferritin 148

B12 497

• Posted

It might be worth asking whether they cab run an active b12 test (which is more reliable than the standard). Some patients with normal values only have limited active b12 and thus get symptoms. However your results will likely have changed and worth running a new set. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.