Question about disability

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello, I have come to ask if anyone can provide information for me. I'm 39 years old and have had 6 shoulder surgeries. the last one was almost 2 years ago, when i had a total fusion done. i knew in my heart it was my only choice because of the debilitating pain and constant dislocation, but i wasnt prepared for completely losing the use of my arm. I lost my job because of this. I just cant do the work(it was clerical work) i cant write legible or type fast enough. i cant lift, push, or pull more that 5 or 10 pounds. I even find it difficult to drive in heavy traffic because i have only one arm. the pain is still excruciating. I have applied and interviewed for numerous other jobs, and it's the same everywhere. I am just not physically able to do the work. I've decided to look into disability, I have other issues as well like 13 knee surgeries. I'm just curious if anyone on here has applied for disability benefits due to severe shoulder injury, and if you have how difficult was the process? any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Don't try to apply on your own, as they most likely will reject your claim anyway. Get a good lawyer that works in the field of disability claims and let him do it for you. They don't charge you upfront, they will only get paid when they win. They take their fee out of your settlement before you get it. Usually your settlement will be a years pay. After the lawyer files your claim, you will probably get a message from the gov asking if you are willing to see their Doctor to be examined. Tell them yes. chances are they won't follow up on that. I takes them 9 to 12 months to talk to your Doctors about your condition and make their decision. Good luck.

• Posted

thank you so much for the reply. I will definitely start the search for a lawyer. I never imagined I would have to even consider this. having to swallow my pride here. again I truly appreciate your input.

• Posted

I totally understand about the blow to your pride but that's what it's there for. There's no shame in applying for what you paid for. I applied for disability myself, mainly to get

health insurance. I had a widows SS but no health insurance. I was recovering from kidney cancer, lost one kidney because of it, and I had back problems so couldn't work in my profession. It took about 9 months to get it. When I reached 65 it reverted to reg SS. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.