Question about eye pressure reading

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning all, 

I wanted to post to see if I should be concerned or if I'm overreacting. I'm 41 years old. I went for my yearly eye check up yesterday and my eye pressure has consistently been reading at 17 for the past few years. My appointment was at 4:30pm. Around noon yesterday, I took a fat burner/caffeine stimulant called Liporush (I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds) and also had 2 hot chocolates throughout the day. In retrospect, this was not smart on my part. My reading came back at 21 and he said he considers that slightly elevated and wants me to come back in a couple weeks for field testing. I felt very alert and jacked up on the Liporush (equivalent of 4 red bulls) and hot chocolates. He said my reading could be elevated because of all that caffeine and/or stress but wants to run the tests anyway. I've read online that eye pressure can spike in the short term because of caffeine, stress, etc. Any thoughts? Appreciate it! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is hardly elevated - my pressures have rarely gone below that in the past 28 years!   Mostly, they have been hovering around 25, occasionally going over 3o, and sometimes down to 16 or 17.     When first discovered at the age of 48, they found no evidence of glaucoma and did not even put me on drops for the next 7 years.    I have been on eyedrops since 1997 and still no glaucoma.   Last pressures in December were 18 and 22.     As long as they are keeping a check on you, I would just leave it to them!      Certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it!     

• Posted

I was treated by a Professor of Opthalmology and I asked him if there was a relationship between my slight hypertension and the increased optical pressure which has led to my slight glaucoma.  He dismissed the idea.  However, one of his previous students was in mild disagreement. 

In conclusion, I don't think there is any real evidence of a link between excessive caffeine or bp-raising stimulants, but in any case you should cut down for your general health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.