Question about Father's Cold/Cough and Flu Vaccine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Thank you for your time!

My father is 81 years old and lives alone in India. Early this week, he mostly recovered (there was still some residual cold/cough) from a cold/cough viral infection that lasted about a 1 1/2 months. He always sees his pulmonalogist when he has cough/cold and his medications were a mix of an antibiotic, anti-histamine and cough syrup.

On Tuesday, he was given the flu shot. Since yesterday evening, he has been having moderate cold, cough and his voice is somewhat cracked. He is able to do his daily activities. He is currently taking an anti-histamine tablet and cough syrup that was prescribed by his pulmonalogist for another week on Tuesday. He has contacted his pulmonalogist about his new symptoms.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has experienced something similar? Are the new symptoms my father is having since yesterday a recurrence of the viral infection or maybe a reaction to the flu vaccine ?

I would be grateful for your answers.

Thank you,

Zent

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear your father is not well and that its been going on for quite some time, obviously your father has seen a proper medical doctor and been prescribed antibiotics, i am not sure what the antihistamines are supposed to do though unless you're father is having a reaction to something as well, as for cough medicine he would be better drinking plenty of water which is much better than all the sugar's that cough medicine has in it.

I personally think that if it was a reaction to the flu jab it would have been pretty instantaneous, the flu jab cannot give you the flu, it could be it post viral symptoms hes getting though

• Posted

It doesn't sound like a reaction to the vaccine.

Here in the USA vaccine manufactures are exempt from lawsuits for vaccine injury. Even drugs are not given that status. It seems funny that lawsuit exemption status is necessary since vaccines are safe:)

• Posted

Possibly thats why vacines are given that exemption because reactions are so rare and because without them many more would die

• Posted

Thank you Alexandria and Josh for your replies!!

• Posted

Antihistamines are used to help dry up mucus (secretions) in cough and cold.

it doesn't sound like a reaction to the flu vaccine, but if he was already unwell when he had it, he may expect to feel unwell after it too. as above, it can't cause the flu as it's not a live vaccine. but common side effects (harmless and short lived) can include feeling under the weather/cold symptoms etc. its sensible to postpone vaccination if there is fever but would be fine if just having a cough or cold.

• Posted

Antihistamines are used to help dry up mucus (secretions) in cough and cold.

it doesn't sound like a reaction to the flu vaccine, but if he was already unwell when he had it, he may expect to feel unwell after it too. as above, it can't cause the flu as it's not a live vaccine. but common side effects (harmless and short lived) can include feeling under the weather/cold symptoms etc. its sensible to postpone vaccination if there is fever but would be fine if just having a cough or cold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.