Question about flare ups

Posted , 13 users are following.

Been suffering with pain, burning and irritation but not itching for 4 months. After 4 doctors and lots of tests, the last one diagnosed me with lichen sclerosis. Put me on Clob 2x a day for 2 weeks and then a follow up visit. I'm just finishing week 1 and started to feel better and then yesterday was horrible I cried all day! Is this normal to have flare ups for no apparent reason? Something had to trigger that I would think? Keeping a good journal to see if I can connect the two. I'm so overwhelmed and frustrated!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As you will see from multiple replies LS is a little different for everyone. Based upon my reading I have gone with a low oxalate diet ( no nuts, no wheat, very few berries, limited dark green veggies, spinach is the worse culprit and I was eating it at least 1-2 x a day, limited pasta, etc. you can see whole list on Harvard website). As per Guppy I have nearly eliminated sugar, cut way down on carbs and as per Nancy have upped my suppplement intake. I def. feel a difference when I eat something I shouldn’t ( such as sugar- gets tingly, then a little itch.) Def. keep track of all you eat and what you do and learn to listen to your body. Good luck! 

• Posted

For me, I know, there are triggers.  The other day when I ate just a small piece of chocolate, I was woken up early in the morning by the familiar tingle of LS.  

Eating added sugar is a clear trigger for me and so are dairy products.  

However, to control LS I take regular baking soda OR borax baths.  I rinse after most bathroom visits with warm water in my Perin bottle in which a few pinches of either borax or baking soda.  Then deb dry.  This way my LS stays calm and has stayed calm for a very long time.

Hot weather can give some problems.  Stress as well.  Enough sleep is a must for me.  

Hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Yes I agree eating sugar does cause flare up. I will try bathing with baking soda!  I’m not sure about borax. How much of it do you bath with it, and how long.  
    • Posted

I use 1/3 cup of baking soda in a full bath, or 1/6 cup of borax in a full bath.  

• Posted

Hi Terri, read about the vagina it is natural to have moisture down there. As you get older it is less. Oatmeal baths is soothing does not dry you out. Can calm down flare ups.. I have less. Few flare ups. I don't do baking soda never borax. Will get flack iam sure. You dry something out , starts irritations. Sex use olive oil natural less rubbing to you. God made these areas certain way for sex and child bearing. Let your body calm down. My thought

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.