Question about meniscus and alcohol

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had meniscus and ACL repair surgery nearly 1.5 month ago, I was told not to take alcohol for 3 - 6 month,  How important is it to take this advice into consideration? )) someone who has done this surgery what was the alcohol restriction time? New year is coming so I thought I would give it a shot.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I used to teeter on my high heels, and to sometimes fall over after a few wines. I don't drink. Maybe it's for the best?

• Posted

I suppose it depends on who you think is the expert you or your consultant, alcohol weakens the immune system and can leave you vulnerable to infections which can end up with you contracting bugs like septicemia, if your really adamant you are going to drink then I suggest you give your medical team a ring and ask there advice, Happy Christmas
    • Posted

Thanks lyn, years of experience teaches you that if someone has taken years to become a certain profession then if they don't know the answers then I'm sure that 80% of the population aren't a good predictor of what can happen if you ignore there advice, I hope if you personally decide to have a drink at Christmas you stay on your bottom and restrict yourself to wearing very flat shoes smile either way I'm sure you can enjoy yourself alcohol free, have a good one

• Posted

Take it easy, Kiko, no need to get plastered. I intend to have my first drink tonight, a beer or watered down wine. Coming up 3 months post TKR and physio tomorrow, l will need the same strength to resist that l’ve tried to use recovering from this most brutal  of surgeries. Good Luck.
  • Posted

I'm surprised this advice was offered without an explanation but he must feel there is legimate concern or he wouldn't have included it in his instructions. Alcohol can weaken the system, act as a depressant and / or make medications react differently. Not worth taking a chance if he said no.

• Posted

I've never heard of this except in connection with the prescribed medication...which is ALWAYS dangerous.  I had four knee scopes over a number of years to do repairs and was never told this.  ALWAYS check alcohol restrictions with any meds you're taking.  Other than that, I've never heard of alcohol restrictions for a knee op.

• Posted

no I am not taking any meds, as I remember they told me there is a danger the water will split into the knee and there will be swelling  or something like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.