Question about Mono Blood test, IGM, IGG... Please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Mono in July. Since then I have had a constant fever as the main symptom to this day. My doctor isn't a ton of help, he gives me a lot of iffy answers. What I am wondering, with results like this, am I right in thinking that my infection is improving?

I have had 3 sets of blood tests

**July results: **

EBV AB igM value: >160.00 U/mL

(>43.99 is considered positive for the igM test)

**August results **

EBV AB igM value: >160.00 U/mL

EBV vca IGG value: >244.00 U/mL

(>21.99 is considered positive for IGG test) **

***October results **

In October, my results were a bit different.

EBV AB igM value: >49.00 U/mL

As you can see... my most recent blood work showed a decrease from 160, to 49... while still positive, it is normal up to 43... so it is close to being back to normal, and nowhere near where it was at 160 for the past couple months. Is this a good sign? I asked my doc, and all he said was "probably", but that doesn't give me much reassurance.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like improvement to me, but I'm no doctor.

Still, I would think having a fever this long would be concerning. Is it a low grade fever?

I had a low grade for about 3 weeks straight, then it went away for 2 weeks, came back for 1 week, finally seems to have gone away for good about 3 weeks ago. Everything I've researched talks about a fever lasting for a week to a month but not must past that. Of course, nothing about this virus is textbook.

If you are concerned, tell your doctor you want additional testing or get a second opinion and tell that doctor what your concerns are and what test, or what answers you want. Sometimes you just have to tell people what services you want or expect. When it related to your health, you are your #1, and sometimes only advocate.

It is probably simply related to the virus, BUT, better to be safe than sorry.

• Posted

Hi Clayton,

This virus is such a mystery, it does sound hopeful that your levels are dropping, your body is getting a handle on the virus. I had the opposite experience you are having my temperature was low for months.

It was a full year before I started to feel like myself, I was older when I contracted the virus(55) so that didnt help.

• Posted

hi mono

yes i was 52 when got this for a 2nd time first being at 41. they say with women this can happen when your hormones drop wondered if youve read anything about this .

• Posted

i just did a second blood test too and one of the results was a tiny bit lower.i thought it would cheer me up if it was a lot lower but it wasnt .

drs arent much help as there is no cure for this . take it as a positive for now and keep resting dont push it and then maybe do another blood test in a month .

• Posted

Don't think I ever got my results like that...just said very low positive. My 2nd set of blood tests they told me I'm slightly aneamic but didn't give any advice on what to do about it......the only thing you can do is ride it out....which is why I think the doctors don't tell you too much. I've had a low grade fever for 8 months now, if that what is used to describe how I feel. I'm more zig zagging though where I have good and bad days, but very day is a struggle.

• Posted

Hi Clayton,

Oh it's so frustrating when the doctors won't take the time to explain things or offer reassurance. I'm afraid my knowledge of blood test results and things is very limited but I do hope there can maybe be someone on here who can shed some light - it does sound from what you describe that it is a good sign and a signal that recovery is happening.

Just hoping and praying you feel much better soon Clayton, and remember this thing just takes time and you will get there, even if recovery isn't overnight or instant, absolutely you will get there and get through this and be back to full health again. This thing is an awful experience to go through physically, mentally and emotionally - just keep in mind it's normal for it to take time but you will get there! Thinking about you and hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.