Question about Nasal Antral Window Surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

So a couple months ago I had an awful pain in the area my right maxillary sinus. I had a major jaw surgery back in high school so I thought it might be related to that. Long story short, it ended up being that I have a possible fungal ball or large polyp in that sinus. Fast forward a couple months later and I've got to have surgery. They're saying that it's going to be a non-invasive Nasal Antral Window. He says the top of my sinus up around where my nasal cavity comes in looks closed off. He said this will not involve any packing of gauze and I should be off work more than a day or two. Or so he told the surgical scheduler and she told me. I've got my appointment scheduled for this Friday and I can't get ahold of the scheduler (I've tried her repeatedly, she's horrible to get ahold of). But of course I Googled this procedure (I know I know... bad idea)... and I'm seeing that a Nasal Antral Window is 'typically' where they make an incision in your gums and go through that way. Which looks extremely painful to me and like there would be a lot of recovery time involved as it looks fairly invasive. Is this always how a Nasal Antral Window is done? Because from how I understood it they were going up the nose, widening the opening and clearing out the sinus cavity. Please advise. I just don't feel like sitting around and worrying about this unnecessarily.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

*shouldn't be off work (I guess you can't edit these posts)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.