Question about negative ear pressure/retracted ear drum and hearing loss

Posted , 1 user is following.

Long shot but does anyone know why someone would actually be able to hear better with a negative ear pressure/retracted eardrum? I've read many articles explaining why hearing could get worse, but not better. Could it be the ear drum is actually making contact with the middle ear bones, possibly the stapes, and is able to transmit sound more directly to the cochlea? Even though I understand this situation can cause corrosion of the ear bones long term. which is something I'm quite worried about.

I'm asking because I've been dealing with negative ear pressure for a long time and recently had grommets put in to correct it. Since then I can barely hear out of the left ear, which was the ear most affected by the negative pressure, but I was actually able to hear fairly competently pre-grommets when I would sniff up and create a vacuum in the middle ear (which I now know was a bad thing to do). Was I bypassing the middle ear bones without realising it this whole time, suggesting there's something wrong there, and now that pressure has been equalised I am no longer able to transmit sound as effectively? Doctor say I have to wait 3 months to get another hearing test 😦 so I'm getting stressed out trying to figure out what is going on.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.