Question about Prozac Vs. Lexapro in terms of nausea?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have a lot of gut problems, food allergies, candida, ibs, and a few months ago my Doctor wanted me on Lexapro so I took it and gave it a month. I got sick halfway through with a stomach bug and nothing I took worked on it, i have a throwing up phobia so it frightened me. i had violent nausea, and like waves of radiating illness, ive never had that with other bugs and stuff and once I got off Lexapro and weened off, I felt better. Sadly, My Doctor suggsted I go on Prozac, and I am terrified again I will have the same issues. I have family yelling at me about suffering through it for later, but I have been through so much for years and I am not even depressed, he suggested it because I take Ativan and he said it would make it work better. Any thoughts on if Lexapro is the same as Prozac? Or if its different on the stomach at all?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hello, Jen. sorry to tell you but most new anti-depressants do cause nausea. Why are you taking them if you are not depressed. I tried about 6 different ones all have me nausea. The only one I had success with is called wellbutrin SR. I was on Ativan too. My doctor told me that the ativan would work better on this med. He was right. If you need them try this one. Believe me it works no nausea either. Good Luck to you.

• Posted

My Mother demanded me to ask the Doctor and she is paying for it so I did as she asked me to, and ive told her I had anxiety more than anything else but she wont let it go.

• Edited

I I hope you find the right medication Ativan is very addicting doesn't take long to get addicted to that Prozac I took lexapro for 2 years but Prozac I could not take that it kept me awake all night long I could not sleep I would be very careful with any depressants there is a genetic test that you can take now that most insurances will pay for and it will tell you what antidepressant your body can take ask your doctor if he can do the genetic test for you Ican't get out there and play the game

• Edited

I I hope you find the right medication Ativan is very addicting doesn't take long to get addicted to that Prozac I took lexapro for 2 years but Prozac I could not take that it kept me awake all night long I could not sleep I would be very careful with any depressants there is a genetic test that you can take now that most insurances will pay for and it will tell you what antidepressant your body can take ask your doctor if he can do the genetic test for you Ican't get out there and play the game

• Edited

I'm I'm not going to retype this anymore I've tried three times I took lexapro for 2 years I had to wean off of that very carefully because I had side effects and I also tried Prozac and it was horrible I could not sleep at all I was so agitatedyou can ask your doctor to do the genetic test that will tell you which antidepressant that your body can tolerate most insurance companies will pay for that I just hope you find the right one try and get off Ativan if you can it is mainly for anxiety and it is very addicting

• Edited

Avoid all anti depressants!I would refuse Prozac since you are not depressed and especially since the previous one upset your stomach. If you are terrified of taking Prozac, listen to your concerns because your own instinct is the best guidance. The fact you say 'sadly my doctor suggested I go on Prozac and I am terrified again I will have the same issues' suggests to me you have serious concerns about going back on these drugs.These medications can actually cause anxiety and depression. Doctors make money from anti depressants.Even if Wellbutrin SR doesn't cause nausea for one person, doesn't mean it won't affect you. One is as bad as the other as far as I am concerned.

• Posted

Thank you, yes I agree. Problem is My Mother pays for it and will expect me to at least try it, I can take a tiny amount to appease her and test it, or lie after that if I have to.

• Edited

You don't have to appease anyone or lie to them . Be upfront with your mum about your concerns. I don't think she would want you to do something you're uncomfortable with or which you might regret later.

• Edited

If you are taking Ativan by the guidelines of you doctor. It is unfortunate But you have to be on an anti depressant. If you refuse they can take your ativan away from you. Then would you be ok without anything for anxiety?. That's just how it works when you take benzos.

• Edited

My Doctor said it very casually and is very nice, he wasn't demanding I go on Prozac at all, he just said if I wanted to I could. I told him my concerns, and he just said..if you want to..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.