Question about recovery from ovarian cyst removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding the restrictions after a cyst removal. I have a 68cm cyst on my right ovary that will be removed in a month, but I can't seem to get an answer from the doctor as too how long I will be out of work. I work at a psychiatric hospital and am required to lift and restrain up to 50 lbs, but more than once during a restraint I have been picked in the stomach, and 2 months ago I was attacked and had my AC joint separated. If someone could tell me their experience or,opinion on the length of time I most likely will be out it,would be much appreciated. My job is,very supportive of me, but they need to know how long they need to replace my position with someone else. Any comments would be most appreciated. Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

6 weeks minimum if it’s open surgery. I’d imagine at that size it probably is.  I was told it was told by my nurse it takes about 3months before you get back to normal. Took me 6 weeks and even then I had some back issues. My work doesn’t require that level of activity either though.

Sue

• Posted

Are you sure it is 68 cm? Mine was 30cm and was over 20lbs, the size of a large watermelon.
    • Posted

I'm sorry I just caught the error, it is a 6cm cyst on my right ovary. I can't imagine the pain you must have been in with one that size. Mine is rather small but causing intense pain.

• Posted

Im sorry I just caught the error. It is 6 cm on my right ovary.
  • Posted

Yes, i was in a lot of pain and had several complications. I was out of work for 3 months but i had to be cut from sternum to pubic bone. With a 6 cm cyst, you shouldn't need anything like i had. Sorry to hear you are having a lot of pain. I hope all goes well for you!

• Posted

If it's open surgery - you will be 6 weeks off work for sure - (If I was working I would have needed 8 weeks for me. My cycst was 10cm and another 2 cm same side so my incision is large. The internal stiches were the more painful part) It was difficult to sit - if you are standing/walking it will be easier but you cannot lift anything. no joke, I tried lifting a bag of groceries from the car to the house thinking I would be fine and I was in bed flat on my back for 2 days after - very painful setback!  I am now post op 3.5 months now and only feeling like I am back up and running now. Just starting to exercise again. 

• Posted

68 cms wow! If your having open surgery then expect 8-12 weeks off work especially if lifting is required. Open surgery involves cutting of your abdominal muscles and whilst you should heal pretty quickly from the outside, the inside takes considerably longer! After my first open surgery I was back at work within 8 weeks and that was a desk job and felt too soon, this time I had 12 weeks of sick with a 6 week phased return. Your HR should sort this for you if your an NHS employee, but your GP can also request a phased return with light duties in your Sick note. DO NOT let yourself feel pressured into going back sooner, you’ll do more harm than good! 
    • Posted

Just read your previous response, phew @ 68cms I’d have thought you’d have had surgery pretty quickly 🤣🤣 think that would have been a world record perhaps? 

Answer still stands, my first cyst was 6 cms and I had a bikini cut (c section) but mobility and healing time is still going to be an issue. Your job requirements are really going to dictate when your fit and most importantly safe to return. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.