Question about recovery, how long did it take you?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I had my op on Wednesday and had large cyst, ovary and fallopian tube removed. It wasnt the best experience and trapped gas under my ribs had me in so much pain, I had to be kept in hospital for a few days

Anyways, five days on and I finally got rid of all the gas (peppermint tea works wonders)

However, I am finding it so difficult to spend more than five minutes standing or walking completley upright. I feel very short of breath as soon as I sit up or stand and then feel very hunched over when I walk

Is this normal after keyhole? I have read stories where people seem right as rain after a  few days and going for walks or doing shopping. I am tired and uncomfortable and feel like I am wearing the worlds tightest corset if I stand or walk for more than a few minutes at a time!

Would love to hear some experiences?

x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am on day 3 after the same surgery as you. I have gone out each day. Very difficult to walk. I was extremely slowly and I hold my tummy as I walk. Every step does cause some discomfort. Today I feel more pain in the area where my ovary was. Day one and two were more of an overall feeling of pain, mainly from the gas. I am trying to take it easy, but I get cabin fever pretty easily and want to go out. In my mind's eye I think I'm fine and can go to the store, but once I step outside I can barely walk.
  • Posted

I'm now 13 days post op after having left ovary and tube removed via keyhole surgery. It was about 8 days before I even started to get back to normal but I did have some quite heavy bleeding for the first week. When it slowed down my energy levels improved, but even now after almost two weeks I'm still getting twinges, but at least I'm able to stand straight and I'm now driving so just about back to how I was pre op. I did get to a point when I had to make a special effort to try to straighten up because I was hunched over for a week and it was giving me back pain. It also took over a week for the gas pain to stop. I really think that the NHS need to rewrite the advice leaflets regarding laparoscopy and oophorectomy because you really are led to believe that you will be back to your usual self after a couple of days which as we all know is just not the case. I think that everyone will heal at their own pace but after reading the NHS  leaflets it's worrying when you think you should have been up and about quicker.I'm just off to see the nurse now to have the stitches removed that shouls have dissolved and haven't!!!
  • Posted

I had my keyhole surgery Dec. 4th and found I was not comfortable enough to stand up straight (felt like my belly button would rip open) and didn't have a day of proper standing without hunched walking until December 13. I went back to work the 15th (yesterday). What you are experiencing sounds very normal. Up until yesterday I could only get around the house bit by bit. Don't overdo it. Your body will let you know when you are ready. Happy healing! Everyone is different and takes different pain management. Get lots of rest and eat well. You will truly just wake up one day in the coming week and feel normal smile
    • Posted

Thanks for everyone's replies

It does sound like my recovery is going the same way yours all did

It is misleading to say you'll be back on your feet in a few days

I remember my consultant at the first appointment said I would be back at work in two or three days! Day two and three, I was in really bad discomfort with the trapped gas!

I'm finding a small improvement each day but still can not straighten myself up. I guess it's just going to take a little more time

Thanks everyone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.