Question about shingles rash appearance

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having an aching pain in my right armpit only for about 3 weeks now. Within the last day this has also turned into a burning skin feeling. Today after checking in the mirror I see a rash developing. (There is no rash on my others armpit) Can this be shingles? None of the spots have blisters though so I'm really not sure. Does the rash have to have blisters to truly be shingles? And are the blisters there as soon as the rash appears? Or maybe my rash might blister soon? Any input would be greatly appreciated 😊

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam,

You really need to go to see a doctor because if it is shingles the earlier you start antiviral tablets the better you will be in the long run, usually within 24 - 48 hours of the rash appearing.Blisters usually form after the spots surface and mainly on one side of the body, but it can cross over to the other side. I find that i feel really tired and my body aches too before the spots surface. You definately need to get checked out though.  Hope this helps.Take care Lisa

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lias 😀 Yes I will defiantly make an appointment. I was just curious about this rash without blisters & was wanting some input from others who have had shingles. I know you can have shingles without a rash so was just wondering about a rash without blisters? 
    • Posted

Dear Pam,

I am so sorry you are suffering from this disease.

Often Herpes Zoster starts with symptoms of fatigue, malaise, muscle aches and pains, headache, fever, etc, followed by pain in the area. The rash starts after theonset of pain. I would discontinue deodorant or antiperspirant and seek medical attention immediately. The rash usually consists of vesicles-blisters, but shingles does not always read ie follow the textbooks. In other words, the rash sometimes can be red dots, usually on a red base.

It almost never crosses the midline of the body, unless someone is immunocompromised.

It would be better to start on an antiviral ASAP. The burning pain sounds like Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

I hope this information helps you.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

HI Pam- I agree with Lisa1510...

go to the doctor and in the meantime before your appt. read through this forum as much as possible to understand how the medical community is pretty far behind in understanding the unusual circumstances with outbreaks without blisters... I have had 4 outbreaks in the last year with blisters but I am now realizing that the intense itching in my left armpit was actually an outbreak without blisters. There was a rashy looking area but I had all the other symptoms and now it makes sense. I suspected the shingles and started the med and it went away, unfortunately it's now taken over my ear and here I go again, this time with blisters because I had no idea it could get in a person's ear. It wasn't until I read through this forum that a lot more things make sense and I know I'm not crazy. Also had another outbreak without blisters...By the way = I take Zovirax 800 mg 5 times daily and it halts the spreading and makes it calm down but the sooner you can get started the better. My doc is pretty good about letting me have refills on the med even though he's just a general practictioner and not very familiar with re-currant and unusual circumstances. Just be certain with your doc that you understand that all cases are not typical.... I would like to hear how your progress goes. Stay in touch smile good luck. Amy

• Posted

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I just hope my gp doesn't dismiss this as being shingles cuz I have no blisters! I have also had muscle aches & pains for weeks in this area as well as armpit (where the rash is) chest, breast, inner arm & underarm pain. Sometimes the pain goes down my arm as well to my forearm but all these pain are only right sided. 
    • Posted

hi pam.shingles causes nerve pain.which could explain pain in forearm.when my spots/blisters appear it almost feels like bad nettle sting with burning sensation.very difficult to explain its just awful
  • Posted

When I first thought to look under my arm today it felt like a burning pain. Like I had a sunburn or nicked my self shaving or something. Does this sound consistent with shingles? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.