Question about Sjogren's

Posted , 9 users are following.

hello everyone  and thanks for reading.  I have a question about Sjogren's.  I have had dry eys for about 2 year now (I also had lasik in 2005).  Within the last 4 months my have have gotten really dry.  I have all 4 tear ducts plugged and I am on Restasis.  I also use sclera lenses (more for vision  but also helps the dry eye).  My ete dr said he thinks I may have Sjogren's  even though I have never has a Schirmers test (I am not sure how accurate that would be since i have had lasik anyway).   tested positive for ANA 1:80 titer with hemogeous pattern but negative for RF and SSa and SSb.  Should I pursue this further?  Dry eyes are the only symptom I have.  Thanks Andrea B

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My optician suggested that contact lense should not be used by people with any dry eye condition.  I believe that the drops we choose should be determined by the viscosity of the tears - some have a higher oil to water ratio.  I have now been referred to ophthalmology department so will update if I get any other information.
    • Posted

Well the lenses I have are actually an aide to dry eye.  They are not the traditional contacts lenses.  They are called sclera lenses and the fit on the white part of the eye and vault over the cornea.  You fill them with PF saline and your eye is bathed in that solution.  I still have to use drops through the day to keep the front of the lenses moist but they really help at work with the dry eyes
    • Posted

They sound interesting! Never heard of that. I wonder if they're available this side of the Atlantic.
    • Posted

yeah  they are becoming popular for dry eye disease  esp a condition that causes dry eye like Sjogren's  they are also used post lasik dry eye and irregularity in the cornea from lasik.  that is actually why I got them  more for vision than dry eyes. I had lasik in 2005 with no problems at all till  my eyes started to dry out  then I did not have enough oil and water to fill in my small irregularities cause from the alsik so i was have ghosting issues.  These contacts let me see 20/15 though !!
    • Posted

also yes  I think they are everywhere.  I know some people on the dryeye website have them and they are from all over the world.
  • Posted

I had been diagnosed in 1998 with Sjorgrens.  All four tear ducts are plugged and I use restasis. I agree with Shira 75032 
    • Posted

Yes it's POTS which is associated with Sjögren's and Lupus it causes balance problems, I also have AI hearing loss, peripheral neuropathy, thankfully my heart it fine, if you can get them serum eye drops are far better than the ones you mention. I'm not sure if they are available in the UK I was terrified when a consultant put me on the same but for dogs as a very temporary measure! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.