Question About Speedicath by Coloplast

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have heard several people on these prostate forums sing the praises of Speedicath by Coloplast.  I'm getting some to try.  Can anyone tell me the advantage they have over regular cathiters even those that are self lubed?

Thank you.

Tom

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They are hydrophilic prelubed, easy to insert, it can be done anywhere no need for sterile gloves and drape, it can be done as fast as normal urination, no irritation, they come also in pocket size while on the go.

Speedicath by Coloplast best brand I tried among multiple others.

i would totally recommend this brand to everyone for self catheterisation.

Disclaimer: I an not affiliated with the company in any way so this is not intended to be commercial for the company. This is patient experience.

• Posted

I have samples of both fr12 and fr14.  Any recommendations?

Tom

• Posted

"I have samples of both fr12 and fr14.  Any recommendations?"

Tom,

Catheter size is critical! I had fr14 forced upon me by my uro who ignored my protests that fr16 was a good size for me. Well, the first CIC went fine. So I thought,"Maybe the man is right". Second CIC with a fr14 was a disaster! The catheter kinked and, depite my gentle withdrawl, some minor bleeding ensued.

I kept to the SpeediCath but went up to a size fr16. Perfect!

Regards, Alan

• Posted

They are perfectly designed for ease of use.

Instantly ready, there is both a hanging hook and an adhesive patch for holding the case vertical whilst using the catheter.  The shape of the catheter funnel avoids splashing (oddly some other makes do splash), There is a very clear embossed line on the funnel for correct alignment of the versions with coude tip, and that line is NEVER misplaced (other makes are less reliable).  The casing is aluminised and when the catheter is replaced, the case can be folded in three with a fold line marked on the casing one-third down. Then twisting the casing like wringing out a cloth leaves the case firmly folded as small as it can be for disposal.

• Posted

After my first TURP surgery, swelling on a Saturday night caused acute retention that sent me to the ER with awful pain.  I got no help from my urologist's office about self catherization.  I wanted an order for the supplies and got no help.  So I convinced a local medical supply company to sell me what I needed, pointing out that my wife is an RN.  I had found a very helpful YouTube video that gave me the confidence I could do this.  Sure enough, I had a few episodes of acute retention and was able to avoid more trips to the ER, or worse, a damaged bladder.   I tried to place a link to the video, but I guess the moderator had a problem with it as it is a real person doing "show and tell."  If you go to YouTube and search with these words:  [how to do intermittent self catherization].  Then look for the video by Kevin Johnson.  It's a good video because he stresses the necessity of handwashing, and having a sterile technique.  
  • Posted

pros:  much more discreet, easier, faster, easier to get past sphincters and prostate and in to bladder.  I never have problems inserting them.  I can get them in in about 15 secondss max but then it takes about 1 - 2 minutes for the flow to stop.  sometimes w/ the others I felt like the tip was slightly cutting in to the side of the urethra and also there were times when it just wouldn't go and i have to start over.  some of this is probably dues to the size of the portion that is going past the sphincters and in to the bladder: 12F.  The other ones I had used were 14F. 

Cons:  the second half of the catheter that is inserted is 18F - so it is bigger in the bottome part of the urethra.  The catheter is a few inches shorter so the grip part needs to go just about all the way up to the tip.  Takes 15-30 seconds longer to empty - probably because it is 12F where it starts flowing.

Overall, I definitely prefer the Speedicath.  There is less irritation to the sphincters, prostate and baldder opening, but a bit of tightness in the lower part of the urethra where the 18F goes in. There is none of that "cutting" feeling in the urethra like i had w/ the others.

• Posted

UPDATE:

I have just used the Coloplast Speedicath and it gets my vote.

However, I have noticed something no matter what cath I use.  My UR seems to think my bladder has no get up and go left.  I can urinate on my own somewhat.  I DO empty my bladder as best I can BEFORE cathing.  I then cath.  The funny thing is the amount that comes out with cathing is between 50-75 ml.  So how bad can I be?  I have never measured the amount BEFORE I cath but it is FAR GREATER than the amount I cath.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.