Question about Tinnitus

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I always have Tinnitus in my right ear (bad ear) and this weekend something strange happened.  All of the sudden I got this insanely loud ringing about 3-4 different screaming tones.  My own voice sounded like a tin-y radio and I was yelling to talk.  It lasted about 3 hours.  No other symptoms: no dizzy, fullness, anything just ringing.  After 3-4 hours it is back to normal.  Do any other MD suffers ever experience this symptom?  Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have.  I think it may be due to pressure change in the air or if you have flown recently or ate too much salt or very little salt....I really cant pinpoint it its just a change for b it in the way the tinnitus normally sounds......I have definatley had the same thing....
  • Posted

I have definitely had this happen. One time, exactly what you said happened, but it progressed to hearing loss in that ear. I went on prednisone and was better in 2 days. I've had it happen since, with no real hearing loss, but the tinney sound, and a feeling of numbness in my ear. I also get very dizzy sometime with it, but not true spinning vertigo. Drs mentioned menieres, but my VNG tests have all come back normal (now and 3yrs ago), even when I'm still somewhat dizzy. I am told it's not menieres, they think migraine. Whatever it is, prednisone seems to help it. I can find no definite triggers- restricting salt seems to help when it's flaring, but between episodes, salt is fine. Migraine foods, same deal. It all started 5yrs ago for me. Now the fleeting tinnitus is happening in both ears, and I have a baseline tinnitus at all times in left ear (the one that had the sudden hearing loss).

• Posted

Hi, yes! It’s horrible! The loud noises can be so bad I go to bed and pray they go away. I can’t concentrate. They do in a few hours.its so complicated I don’t know where to begin. 

Sometimes I think salty foods make it worse and sometimes I wonder if it’s dehydration . I know my dizziness has a lot to do with dehydration. Also high blood pressure.

Everyone talks about benhisti one helping. Are you on that? 

Also, hearing aids have helped cover up the tinnitus abit. If you have a break through let me know and good luck!

• Posted

I'd consider hearing aids but the tinnitus is just annoying.  The distortion is truly horrible.  If I had a hearing aid it would just make the distortion louder which wouldn't help.  I can zone out the tinnitus.  Just want the distortion to go away.

• Posted

I test my self from time to time. It seems that dehydration plays a big roll in alot of this.
    • Posted

yup stay hydrated, definitely one of the factors at least in my case. I try not to have continuously 30 minutes walk now.
    • Posted

i really think it makes a difference! Also, iPads can make me dizzy! Playing games does!
    • Posted

Believe me I have exact same feeling, spending too much time on facebook definitely makes me dizzy. I also got neck and shoulder pain due to bad posture, starting taking medicine and now its little better.
  • Posted

I have had all of the symptoms you described many times myself. The MD and Tinnitus is a terrible thing to have!

I don't make many comments here, because it reminds me of the struggle I had. I wanted to share with you what works for me, so far Tinnitus is barely noticeable and I haven't had any Vertigo for a couple years or more.

Now I'm not saying this is a cure because everyone is different. But I found that anxiety caused most of my problems. So I take 20mg Paxil for Anxiety and after a couple of months I noticed things started getting better gradually. I don't know if you have tried this but it can't hurt any more that whats happening now!

I say that because NO ONE Knows the struggle who does not suffer from it!     Ray

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.