Question about Trazodone...

Posted , 2 users are following.

My psychiatrist prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep while I adjust to a new SSRI (Citalopram). I've been taking 25mg or less each night for about three weeks. Now I'm worried that this drug (Trazodone) can create a dependency and withdrawal symptoms that increase anxiety! Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel frustrated that doctors throw these things at us that could potentially create more complications in the long-term. Should someone have told me not to take it every night? I'm so confused.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Yup, it can.

Happened to me.

I took it for a lot longer though. About 18 months I forgot the dose now.

BUT, I weaned off it and slowly. I had extreme anxiety. I just had to go through it. I also had a benzo to wean off.

Not sure which one was worse.

• Posted

Thats interesting. Ive experienced weaning off Xanax over a course of three months and that was suuuper hard. Im sure it might have played into your challenge. Hard to say but Im noticing a good number of people who complain about anxiety/withdrawal post-Trazadone are also on a benzo or trying to get off one. This makes me hopeful that those are huge contributing factors. Every doc has told me Trazodone can be abused but its not addictive.

• Edited

Who knows

It may not be addictive, but it doesn't mean there are no withdrawals

Absolute horror story for me.....Never again!!!!!

• Edited

I simply notice that if I don't take it I wake up a lot throughout the night and dream a lot. I just want to sleep through the night or even to just wake up only once would be terrific.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.