Question about upping dosage

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I just upped my dosage about a week ago, I was on .75mcg of uithroid and .50mcgs,  the .75 was 5 days a week and .50 on 2 days, I just started the .75  6 days a week and .50 for 1 day.  I've noticed in the past 2 days more anxiety, is this normal for upping the dose?  Does it settle down again as the body gets used to it?  

Thanks for your help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi patty,

Anxiety usually indicates that you are taking too much. This may also be accompanied with heart palpitations/pounding. This may settle down, but in my experience it didn't and I had to reduce the dose.

Always follow the advice of your doctor/endo. Getting your bloods tested is the only way you will find out if your dose is too high. It can take 8-12 weeks for a change of dose to be reflected in your blood results.

Caz

• Posted

THanks,  I had tests done on March 23rd and the TSH was at 7, he is slowly working it up as I'm sensative to it.  But Ive heard it can cause some anxiety as the body gets used to it.

• Posted

Oh I see, Yes that is above the normal ranges so I can see why they increased it. Sometimes it does take a while to adjust and if you aren't getting any heart trouble it should be fine in a few weeks x
  • Posted

Not sure if I got this right, but if you've only just replaced one .75 for one .50 one week ago, it's a really small increase, so you would have to be very very sensitive to feel a difference.

I would stick with it, and count on settling down, but do contact your doctor if your symptoms get worse or don't go away, or if you just feel like you should.

I had anxiety at first too and just stopped taking my pills (don't do that) doctors get mad when you do that...smile

• Posted

Hello Patty818:

Nurse Shelly here,  It can take the body a bit of time to get used to it.  You can try to go slower and drop back down to 50 mcg for 2 days a week instead of 1 day. These hormones pack a punch!

The body does take around 6 to 12 weeks to build up the new level. It can be a shock if you get a bigger dose and that can cause shaking and anxiety.

So I would go slow and there is no rush to get it done fast, take it slow and back down on 2 days a week and letthe body even out.  If you have to add in 1/2 a tablet every few weeks.

Keep us posted on how you do. Any questions just ask,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.