question about when to start therapy

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have given some advise to a friend who will be going thru tkr soon. First one knee then the other. Question I have is " has any one heard of a doctor that wants his patient to just walk around house for 3 months then do therapy for 4?" He was told to...take it easy and then after therapy he will do other knee. Which means no work for a year! Any input will help. He will be joining forum soon to get as much info before surgery as he can.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Makes no sense at all. I echo the opinion to GET ANOTHER DOCTOR!
    • Posted

Thank you all. I told him the same thing. I asked what kind of doctor was he that would tell him that. He is a sports orthopedic surgeon. Unbelievable
  • Posted

All docs are different. I know a guy had surgery. They sent him to PT to soon. Was doing workout heard a pop. Then it started to burn. Tore something loose. Had to have surgery to fix it. Start all over.
  • Posted

Had tkr on Thursday and first OP PT on following Monday. Three then two times a week for eight weeks. Daily excercises on my own. Stationary bike right away. That scar tissue can develop really quickly. Agree, find a second opinion. 
  • Posted

Either the dr wasn't clear in his meaning or he needs to to better define the reasons. Generally the idea of strengthening the quads is the biggest pre op goal as it will make the post op. therapy a little easier. I was in therapy almost immediately on every one of my rehabs (5). Every dr is different but this seems very strange. I would ask for a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

I had both knees done at the same time and jumped right into the torture sessions. The good thing about it was I couldn't favor either knee. I would be worried about scar tissue setting in on the first one if he doesn't do some sort of thereapy on it. Of course, I guess he could have it manipulated at the same time as the other one.

-Mo

• Posted

After my tkr my surgeon said I didn't need rehab or pt as I was progressing so well .. ended up at 5mths with many issues and have been seeing a pt since then!  For the next knee I will be going to see my pt as soon as I can luckily she's a rehab pt and has helped me greatly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.