Question about word catheter healing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a Bartholin Cyst treated with a word catheter twice. The first time I had the catheter inn the balloon pooped and it was only in for 12 days. Not all of the cyst had drained and it came back large again and quickly. So I tried the word catheter again, determined to leave it in. So I made it to 4 weeks with the catheter in.

My cyst drained and it has been a week since I have had the catheter out. I am worried about this hole that is left in its place...it’s big and noticeably and makes me self conscious. Does the hole get smaller with time? And is scar tissue normal? Does anyone have a successful story about their experience with a word catheter? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When they put in the catheter they should be draining the cyst completely first, it will still leak afterwards even if the catheter is in because it is still producing lubrication for the vaginal area. this fluid may be thick and/or bloody.

If the catheter falls out before 3 weeks than it usually means its had enough time to heal or it was moved out of the appropriate location to keep it in for longer such as movement, going to the washroom, etc.

You want to keep it in for at least 3 weeks as thats as much time it will take for the gland walls to heal when they thicken and it allows the hole to heal larger to prevent it from occurring again. Over time, the hole will get smaller but that may also result in the BC occurring again. 

Scar tissue is normal, i sometimes still get pain down there even though i don't have a BC.

My success story is that I had many many BC for almost a year. I was lucky to go 2 days without one. They would come and stay between 3 days to 3 weeks. Until, it became an abscess  and i had word's catherter placed. It stayed in 3 weeks then was taken out. Over the next 2 months i'd get them occasionally but they'd always go away within 2 days then they stopped appearing all together. However, i did changed things. for me i think it had to due with the condoms or the lubrication in the condoms that caused mine because when i stopped using them with my parter  (got an IUD) they stopped appearing.

• Posted

I can't imagine having the cathedar in for 3 weeks. I've had mine since Monday and am in pain. I can't really sit or walk. I need to go back to work but can't even imagine working with it in.

• Posted

Hey Beauty,

it does get better. What I suggest is to get tested for an STI. BC are commonly associated with them. I got tested 3 times this past summer and although they all tested negative I had chlamydia for months even though i was repeatedly tested. I didn't find out until i had an IUD inserted and got a really bad Uterus infection. Since I've been treated they haven't come back. The best time to get tested is during your period, apparently that STI growth increases when blood is present and during other times the growth can decline so much that it doesn't appear positive on a test.

In terms of the Cathedar it will get easier at the 1.5 week mark. The pain will go away and you'll stop noticing the tube. Obviously it sucks using pads during this time but the soaks really help. I did them twice daily. Advil helps.

Let me know if you need anything specific; I'm glad to help.

• Posted

Hey Beauty,

it does get better. What I suggest is to get tested for an STI. BC are commonly associated with them. I got tested 3 times this past summer and although they all tested negative I had chlamydia for months even though i was repeatedly tested. I didn't find out until i had an IUD inserted and got a really bad Uterus infection. Since I've been treated they haven't come back. The best time to get tested is during your period, apparently that STI growth increases when blood is present and during other times the growth can decline so much that it doesn't appear positive on a test.

In terms of the Cathedar it will get easier at the 1.5 week mark. The pain will go away and you'll stop noticing the tube. Obviously it sucks using pads during this time but the soaks really help. I did them twice daily. Advil helps.

Let me know if you need anything specific; I'm glad to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.