Question: do you continue taking antibiotics while doing CIC indefinitely?

Posted , 6 users are following.

after my hospitalization for UTI I have been taking Cephalex for a month while starting CIC.

I'm wondering if you all take antibiotics continually going forward while doing self caths?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I would not think it necessary to continue antibiotics with CIC. In fact, used properly, the CIC use should greatly diminish the incidence of infection. My two cents anyway. Good luck. I have been using CIC for over three months without antibiotics or UTI's,

• Posted

I have been doing cic for about 6 years and never had a UTI. I did have one prior to cic though. Hank

• Posted

You would not want to take antibiotics continually, it could be damaging to your health. Many people have UTI when first starting to use catheters, because of bleeding in the urethra. After a few days the urethra adapts, bleeding stops, and UTIs stop, so you will not need antibiotics.

You need to keep everything clean when using catheters. I use povidone iodine to clean around the opening to the urethra, and as long as I have been doing that, I have not had a UTI.

• Posted

thank you very much!

• Edited

I've had repeated uti's since starting cic, however, this is most likely due to a urolift implant being incorrectly positioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.