Question for a doctor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All,

I was watching T.V. and a hemorrhoid commercial came on. It started listing all of the ingredients in the cream and stated that they included lidocaine to relieve itching and pain.

When I heard that I immediately thought, Why don't our doctors prescribe lidocaine ointment (not hemorrhoid cream) to those of us with LS for the itching and pain?

I don't have a doctors appointment for another 6 months, can someone who has an upcoming doctors appointment please ask if lidocaine ointment  (not hemorrhoid cream) would be something that someone with LS could use to alleviate the itch and pain. There are so many that can't sit or scratch until they bleed, maybe this could help. 

Thanks!

Ann 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have used over the counter Vagisil cream which has anaesthetic properties for soreness and itching it does help. My GP didn't know about it but was interested. I don't use it much now as I have the itch and soreness mostly under control. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks, Ann! Hopefully, someone who is having these issues will be helped by this! smile
  • Posted

Hi Starlight 8 am seeing my GP in so will sound him out as don't see my consultant till mid April.

Cheers

Tina

• Posted

Thanks, Tina! Hopefully, you come back with good news or better insight into this biggrin
  • Posted

I find lidocaine useful for calming things down and to facilitate penetration without pain. The duration is however short, around 20 minutes. There is also a risk if you use it during sex that you will get tears without feeling it. So one has to be careful. I use the lidocaine in the gel form since it works like a lubricant at the same time. I think you need a prescription to buy it.
    • Posted

I never thought about it for sex...interesting! For some of us, 20 minutes is plenty of time....lol!cheesygrin
    • Posted

😁 That would usually give you enough time in certain situations. Haha.

• Posted

Hi all.

Went to my GP and asked about Lidocaine as promised.

That was a wasted visit. Was told to wait till I see my Consultant. So there you have it. Why are so many Drs in the dark where LS & LP concerened. I gained all my knowledge from forums like this.

Tina x

• Posted

Just to say that the Vagisil contains Lidocaine at 2% w/w.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.