Question for all forums re posters

Posted , 7 users are following.

I noticed that a lot of people are giving advise on medication is there a way to tell if the person posting is coming from personel experience or has a medical application or is just coping and pasting advise.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

oophs misprint on above post please substitute  medical background for medical application
    • Posted

If you're considering using medications yourself. The negatives normally out way the positive, because they claim low seratonin causes depression but cannot actually prove it. So their only evidence of support is when antidepressants help someone out. So its a gamble with each person. And because they go off that it helped a certain person. They think it will help everyone out. Actually their has been a studies done, about seratonin that disproved it causes depression. The study was done on veterans. The doctors gave them an increase on a vitamin that is said to help boost seratonin levels. The depression didnt go away or get worse. So psychiatrist don't actually know the cause, they just know the symptoms. And how to make pharmaceutical companies happy,

• Posted

I wanted to thank everyone for there responses of which are many. I am pretty new to dealing with the meds as it is not for me but for my adult son. I really have turned a blind eye as I don't know, don't understand. It just makes my mind go nuts. But I realize that someone needs to be an advocate for him I just don't know who can. Each person has there own bias including myself. I try and hope that each person involved is truly trying to help not make things worse. In past years dealing with alcoholic. I soon learned through alononan that I did not have a problem. Made me think this will get worse and made me more aprehensive. So that organization was not the answer. In recent years a problem that I had been dealing with an offspring has gone from one problem into a whole other problem as my son has aged. FRom diagnosis of adhd to now to depression and  bipolar. I do realize that there are varing states of bipolar. I am just not sure that what the doctors are saying is true. I don't see the behavior that is bipolar (the rage at least) some of the behaviors that they spoke about the indecisiveness have been there since birth. I have always told people he came out then decided he didnot want to come and changed his mind. Then 24 hours later Doc said are you ready for this little boy to join us. At that time I said yes doc it is time for him to arrive whether he wants to or not.

?I guess what I have been hearing from folks is that there is not clearcut diagnosis. So what we get is trial and error. Quite frustrating in that I hear every day that someone does something crazy in the news and that some are treated. Makes me wonder how many of those people are on medication or maybe didnot take their medication or maybe they should be using medication. And wondering when I am going to have to join the party. I am sixty three years old and am not on any medication except for drops after cataract surgery.

?Sorry for the rant. Any more I guess I am like a lot of you looking for answers but just getting bits and pieces here and there.

• Posted

Wonderful you are finding out about your sons depression. More relatives and friends should take a little time to try and understand and be supportive. One thing too. Have a closed mouth and open ears when he decides to talk about this. A good listening ear is rare in many cases.
  • Posted

I only ever comment on medication that i myself have been prescribed as i have experience of that , i would never tell a person not to take a certain tablet as our bodies , etc can react differently to one person then another - what one AD , etc can suit one person but not another so i will try a tablet my doctor or psychiatrist has suggested and see if it helps me .- i am not interested in finding out more about it by going online and researching the drug likewise i would listen to a person's negatives but i will not let it alter my decision to try a AD , etc . 

• Posted

Theres a mixture of both here, you do get some people who seem to waste everyone's time by just pasting info straight from Google and passing it off as their own. Others do share personal experience. Best advice to be honest is speak to a Dr about meds or rely on your own experience, we're all strangers here after all and we wouldn't listen to a stranger anywhere else if they offered important advice

• Posted

There are many different depression meds. All are not for one specific cause of that depression, thats why you may have to try many before one actually fits you. Body chemistry is different of course for everyone. Most people will say if they used a drug you are asking about. This site of course is a good way to learn from many others that have been pretty much where you are. We know first hand what depression can do. Anyway we could help, we want to. Many counselors and docs have not experienced what they give advice on. They are taught to help of course. The most important thing I tell others is never stop a med without speaking to your doc first. Hope you find answers here.
  • Posted

I am an R.N., but the only advice I give, talk tou the doctor who prescribed it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.