Question for all sufferers

Posted , 1 user is following.

Talking to friends and family who, like me, have been put on Acid reflux tablets for life a question has risen. Why don't these drugs stop the reflux? Why are so many people suffering with the disabilitating effects of hiatus hernia/reflux despite being on the drugs. An article in the Dail Mail this week now suggests that we all run the risk of B12 deficiency and should be taking a supplement. I thought my gallbladder removal would solve all but it hasn't.

What are your thoughts on this. Indeed anyone else's thoughts on this.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The pills dont stop the reflux because it isnt all Stomach acid, its Bile and Pancreatic juices aswell :? You might have noticed it tastes different than before, its a little less acidic and more soapy? smile
  • Posted

Thanks
  • Posted

Honestly, give it a year and youll be a lot better smile
  • Posted

Thank you. That's what my hubbie says. Trouble is everyone tells you that you will be so much better after gallbladder removal not that it may take some time.
  • Posted

How much Omeprazole (or whatever) do you take a day? If you want to experiment increase your dose for a few days and see what happens smile How are you at the other end, are you suffering from burning / stinging sometimes kind of like from the aftermath of a curry? smile
  • Posted

Sorry I put Mr Spock not Dr! I am on 20mg a day. I have not really ever had the acid taste it has always been creamy and not a lot of reflux either. I know I have it because of the Barrett's diagnosis. Until last night. I went to Sheffield on a course but felt exhausted. Had part of a Chinese at my sisters which I enjoyed as I have not been eating very well. Made the mistake of having a small cake when we got home at 10 pm and woke in the night with a sudden rush of liquid in my mouth and that was definitely acid.

I have felt the stinging at the other end just once last week. I am aware that my bowels are not working as they used to do.

I get a feeling of fullness as if I had just eaten a huge roast dinner (I wish) so I am really not happy about main meals plus I don't have the appetite. Given that I was a very large lady who loved cooking and social eating with family this has come as a bit of a shock. I have now lost just 2 pounds short of 4 stones. That's good I know but not the way I wanted to do it and it is not dropping off me how it was a few months ago. Everyone says how much better I look since the op so it is all a bit frustrating. Trying to keep to low fat food, no meat, chicken, cheese, desserts etc. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Thanks for your support.

• Posted

Eating some Chinese then a cake at 10pm is asking for trouble, you wont do that again will you :D You must know that these are rubbish junk foods? In simple terms you cant eat this crap anymore :D Youve got to get on the no thrills / frills natural fresh food diet,, umm about 70% fruit, veg and others and 30% meat (a daily multivitamin and mineral cant hurt either). Yes theres definitely light at the end of the tunnel smile
  • Posted

Wrist duly slapped! The Chinese was prawn chowmein with a special request of no onions and to be cooked in very little fat. The Chinese I ate at 5.30 ish. The cake, which is the only cake I can normally eat, was a two bite Mr Kipling angel slice. I guess the travelling and the late timing didn't help either.

I haven't eaten crap for ages. Meat is still a no no but would like to increase fruit and veg but am scared of the pain. Am trying little and often. Thanks again. You really are a mine of information.

• Posted

You probably would have been alright if it was homemade cake but these Mr Kiplings process cakes are full of Glycerol / Glycerine (its supposed to be tasteless but for me I can detect it, it tastes like washing up liquid) and thats definately reflux inducing :? Well you should never get reflux after fruit and veg but yes meat is a problem. I personally have no problems with Chicken, Pork or even lean Beef stew but Lamb is lethal as it leaves me sick and burping horribleness for days smile
  • Posted

Have stopped the Mr Kipling cakes. Tried a homecake with no ill effects!

Saw my Gastro Consultant yesterday who is still saying give myself time after the Gallbladder removal and not to have the fear that food will cause pain (ignored me when I said \"but it does\"wink. He will see me in 4 months and I have to have another gastroscopy in a years time to check the Barrett's and hiatus hernia. Am off to buy some wholefoods to give myself a really good fighting chance. Found a simply written guideline on a wholefood diet on the web. It is more or less what I have been doing except for the Mr Kipling cake and ginger biscuits! I have also been trying herbal tea which I quite enjoy now. I have found some 1% crackers which tasted foul at first but now I quite enjoy. Yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Oh thats good, wait, I hope this wasnt packet cake mix :D Real food is good for you but food like substances are bad smile
  • Posted

No it wasn't. I am a traditonal home baker although through the illness I haven't baked for a while. getting the urge to again though. Got stocked up with rice cakes etc today. Off for a meal tonight, with some apprehension but I am sure I should be able to get a fish meal of some sort. No pud though sad
  • Posted

Hi. After turning the corner after the gallbladder op and feeling great I am not feeling so good this week. You asked me on the 10th July if I experienced burning/stinging down below. I replied that I had once for just a day but now I am experiencing it again. What did you think it was? I took a urine sample to the GP and her stick showed no infections. I am getting aches in my back and around the gallbladder area.

After the Dail Mail article on people taking anti reflux tablets and B12 deficiency my GP arranged foir a full blood count test and B12 test. One was ok and the other showed low folate. Have to have another blood test next week to check intrinsics? etc.

Am so frustrated after feeling so well and getting out and about doing things we hadn't done for ages.

Any Advice?

• Posted

I was talking about burning and or stinging of the bottom after a number 2. You must have a annoying Urinary Tract Infection (just drinking more water may help to flush it out) smile

You are suffering a little from Folate deficiency Anemia (so you might just have to take a Folic Acid supplement for a while). The 'intrinsic factor' thing is a further test for B12 deficiency Anemia (Pernicious Anemia) smile

You'll be alright, try and continue to enjoy your new lease of life smile

• Posted

Spot on Dr Spock. A urine test has just come back showing an infection. Blood test ok except for low folate. Eating better again so back on the good road.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.