Question for anyone who’s had ankle fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have any of you had any pain/soreness in your achilles tendon after ankle fusion? I'm 2 years post op and I still have some general aches and pains in my ankle (there's no rhyme or reason to it, some days I can walk for hours with no issues - other days it hurts just walking around the house). Often the discomfort is isolated to my achilles tendon. It sometimes feels reeeaaaaally sore; it's almost like a burning, cramping sensation.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a known issue because obviously having the joint fused changes so much mechanically with everything around it. I've tried finding out if it's a common thing through different resources, but I've had no luck. Any info from you guys would be great.

Thanks so much in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I had a tibiotalar arthrodesis in February last year, so it's been nearly 14 months post op for me, and yes - I still get varying levels of discomfort in the muscles, tendons and ligaments around the area. I can usually walk as far and for as long as I like with very little discomfort now. The pain starts after I have sat down and rested for a while - over I get up to walk again I am in considerable pain for 10 mins or so until the tendons/ligaments and general tissue limber up again. I've been hoping that over time this will get better too but at this stage I don't know yet. The rehabilitation of the whole area takes much longer than expected.

• Posted

I cannot offer any advice as far as a fusion is concerned because my subtalar fusion is scheduled for the end of the year but I can give you some insight to the pain. that burning cramping sensation is most likely a symptom of tendonosis. I've had it and both peroneal tendons as well as flexor hallucis. To break it down to the simplest terms, your muscles and tendons are working too hard and they are exhausted. massage with CBD helps. Ive been going through PRP for my tendonosis which does help but takes time. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.