Question for Chico

Posted , 7 users are following.

Chico, I'm directing this question to you because you had mentioned that you used/use Voltaren gel for pain. However, would welcome input from anyone else that used it after your tkr .

Did you use it while your knee was still really swollen?

I have several tubes I had gotten for knee problems in my non tkr knee but don't want to use it if it will aggravate my knee and make the pain worse.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

At seven months post op its part of my daily ritual. Hot shower first thing followed by a good massage with voltaren gel. It helps to loosen up the knee. If a walks on the agenda through the day-out comes the voltaren again!!!!I wouldnt be without it.
    • Posted

Thanks, Sue. I'm going to start using it. I'm so uncomfortable I hope it will work.

• Posted

Hi all,   I just came home from Hospital for NKR yeterday.  The pain levels were reasonably controlled whilst in there, but now at home it seems more intense.  I am trying not to do too much walking about, but it is very hard to stay idle.  i was shocked when Chico mentioned he had his Op 3 months ago - 12 weeks - and is still in much pain. in my ignorance,  I thought most of the pain would have gone by then - it seems I'm wrong.  I don't know . much about Volterol, i did use it before the Op and did not find it very adequate, obviously the swelling doesn't help.   Regards Janet.

• Posted

Hi Janet, we're here for you.  Did you just have a total knee replacement?  I found that it never helped me either.  I had a total knee replacement 3 months ago and I had my first one 18 months ago.  I've had totally different recoveries from them. My first knee still hurts, and of course my new knee hurts in lots and lots of places.  But this is totally new for you.  I would suggest that you copy and paste your discussion into a a new discussion.  If you're not familiar with this, you'll see a "Start your own discussion" here if you want to.

If you've just had a new TKR yesterday or any op you had yesterday you'd be sore from.  Let me know about this so I can respond to you in a more appropriate manner.  

• Posted

Hi Janet. Fresh from TKR? These first few weeks you will wonder "what was I thinking?"  But it is all worth it in the end. Best thing right now for the pain and swelling is to take your prescribed meds, elevate and icing. Lots of icing.  If you are able to get a Polar Ice machine....I HIGHLY recommend that!! Also, do any recommended exercises.  Everyone heals and recovers at different rates..... I'm now 8 1/2months post op. It was so absolutely worth it!!! Good luck with your recovery, and hang in there.  It WILL get better!!

• Posted

First, make sure you check for interactions (rare).

Got Voltaren years ago when I had my hip replaced and developed a touch of bursitis.  Worked great.  It's a terrific topical anti-inflammatory so it should work on the knee...right?  Used it on my thigh...NOT on the raw incision...waited a long time to go near that.  Thigh, behind the knee, sides...anywhere but the incision itself.  Helped with swelling and pain.  A few months later, I used it all over the knee.

Understand that I didn't have a great deal of swelling issues.  I learned early on to use a pedometer and track my steps.  After an incident involving 8,200+ steps and a hot air balloon for a knee, I learned my lesson on how to avoid the problem in the first place.  So Voltaren came in handy for me for the pain.  Worked pretty well...until I discovered that the #1 product in the world could be obtained in states like Colorado at special "stores" by people with a "special" medical card.  Let's just say that "The Lotion" is the best topical anywhere on planet Earth.

Both these items will address pain and inflammation...they will NOT relieve nerve pain.  So that tingly nerve regeneration feeling we all get that could last for a year or more...out of luck.  Eight months into my recovery, I got bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3 in my spine.  Stopped me in my tracks.  Waited months to get it repaired by an LLIF (lateral) fusion (AMAZING TECHNOLOGY!!!).  Lots of diminishing residual nerve pain in both thighs for a few weeks after the op because they have to retract the nerve roots to insert "the device".  Neither Voltaren nor The Lotion helped.  Used OTC AsperCream with 4% Lidocaine to get some relief.  Found out later that there are Lidocaine patches (RX) that would have helped with the nerve pain.  Maybe next time...NOT!!!!!  

Enough surgery...enough metal.  Four and a half pounds now...going to about seven with the other knee in a year or two.  That's all I want to deal with...ever!  I am worth sooooo much in titanium, cobalt-chromium and surgical steel with the hip, knee(s) and fusions, I'm surprised my wife hasn't already put a contract out on me so she can make money off the parts.  But she's not from Brooklyn and sees things a bit differently...thank God...  Else, it's usually two taps to the head...leave the gun...take the cannoli...

• Posted

You have such a way with words- made me smile. :-)

Yeah I wish I was closer to Colorado but no such luck. FL voted for those special stores too but who knows when we will ever see them. And doubtful a tkr would qualify me for one of those special cards anyway.

I'm going to try the Voltaren and hope it will bring some relief

Thank you!

• Posted

Yes I too use it  extra strength one every 12 hours and it does help with inflammation 
  • Posted

Hi there.  After my TKR, I asked about using Voltaren gel on my knee after physio. My pt spoke with my surgeon, and he said no.  Didn't ask why, but I'm assuming it was because  of the pain meds I was taking at the time.  I currently use a pain relief gel I purchased on Amazon. It's amazing!! Works well. It's called "DEEP RELIEF Ice Cold Pain Relief Gel".  I keep it in the fridge, and massage it in as needed.  I find it works better for me than the Voltaren. And of course, there is still the good old ice packs which I also use.  I am 8 1/2mths post op. 

• Posted

Hi Gerianne.

I did apply the Voltaren a little while ago. Of course without running it past my surgeon. It seems to be working.

However, I'm going to check out your recommendation because it's drug free and I'm on enough meds right now.

Thanks!

• Posted

I hear you about the meds. The DEEP RELIEF also comes in a spray....which I also bought....but I find the gel works better, especially straight out of the fridge!!! Hope it helps you. Amazon delivered it in a couple of days after ordering, so you won't have to wait long. Good luck. 😊

• Posted

Used something called BioFreeze, OTC, available in different forms.  Very cold on contact.  Worked pretty well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.