Question for matron...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hry, firstly welcome back, it's nice to see you on here. I had planned to private message you but I couldn't work out how to do that ????

So, I'm 7 weeks post posterior repair and still suffering. My GP thinks my pain is caused by my sciatic nerve, possibly due to inflammation (and hopefully not nerve damage)

My question to you is I've been prescribed gabepentin, is this a drug that builds up in your system and should stop the pain or does it wear off? I have been told to it take it at night which now gives me a better night sleep and the pain is ok until around lunchtime when it's back and I need to take codeine which actually doesn't do an awful lot. Also do you know how long the inflammation can take settle?

I'm still off work but due back on Monday. I am seeing my GP tomorrow to discuss next steps as she questioned whether I should have an MRI. I'm not sure if I should go back or not, Im sure she will sign me off again if I should take longer to rest.

TIA

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Codeine is chronically constipating to a lot of people! You are lucky you can take it. But if it's not working then I wouldn't take it. Try Nuromol which in NZ is ibuprophen & panadol combined in one tablet. Not take on empty stomach.

• Posted

Hello lisa. I'm sorry you're still having pain. A sciatica type pain is fairly common particularly following a posterior repair and I remember suffering for a short while as well. I put mine down to my legs being strapped into those horrible lithotomy poles because the position tends to pull on the nerves and obviously we are anaesthetised when we're strapped in so can't say whether it's uncomfortable or not. Gabapentin does tend to build up gradually to help the pain and it all depends on your tolerance as to how long it takes to have the full effect. Amitriptyline is another drug used for pain relief as well. Night time is the best time to take it otherwise you'd be drowsy during the day if you took it on a morning. The best drug for inflammation if you can tolerate it is ibuprofen and this can be taken with codeine. As far as the inflammation it can take up to about 12-14 weeks to settle which is why ibuprofen is a good choice because it helps reduce it.  How do you feel about going back to work lisa because it doesn't sound as if you've recovered well enough yet? Obviously I don't know what your job is but you do still need to take it easy to allow the inflammation and pain to settle so perhaps it worth thinking about another sick note.

• Posted

Thanks for your response, it's reassuring to know this type of pain is common, it's been relentless!

I don't like taking codeine, it makes me feel wired as well as causing constipation so I only tend to take it when the pain is really bad and ibuprofen and paracetamol isn't helping.

I'm not sure how I feel about going back, being off is very different to bring back as I'm resting quite a lot so I'm not sure how I'd feel after battling the commute and being up and down from my desk all day attending meetings etc. Last thing I want is to go back and undo everything ??

• Posted

Personally lisa I don't think you are ready to return to work from what you describe although you know your body better than anyone. Going back is hard I know and I was in the fortunate position that in my NHS Trust I could return gradually so I don't know if that's something you have or can consider? Codeine I know doesn't suit everyone and in some cases doesn't relieve their pain. You know what I always say.....pain hinders recovery which I'm sure moira as a nurse will agree. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I suffered from sciatic pain when walking for 4 years. I was very reluctant to take nerve blockers such as gabapentin, and have now had a great result with acupuncture.

• Posted

A friend of mine who is a GP showed me an excellent excercise to do to help relieve the pain from sciatica and it helped me enormously when I was pregnant with my 2nd child.
    • Posted

Weirdly I don't have a lot of pain walking, it's sitting and laying in any position that hurts, I know it's not ideal but during the day I was standing quite a bit as it was the most comfortable thing to do. I can't even lay on my stomach even though the pain is in my bum...ill never I strand the human body! ??

• Posted

What are the exercises matron...are they suitable given the surgery I've had?

• Posted

Sorry lisa I pressed the reply button when I started to explain the exercises!!! I think you could manage it. Lie on the bed on your side (opposite side to the painful leg). You need to be at the edge of the bed. Hang the affected leg over the side so you are putting traction on the nerve. Do it for a few seconds and increase the time if it's comfortable for you. I was about 7 months pregnant when I did the excercise and I was huge but it really helped because the sciatica was so painful I could hardly walk. My son was obviously laid on the nerve. I have mentioned this exercise before on the forum but just to reassure you my friend said it's still safe to do even after 37 years xx

• Posted

No problem, thank you, I'll give them a try ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.