Question for those that experienced cognitive decline as a primary symptom

Posted , 7 users are following.

Did the cognitive decline get worse progressively over time? Or did it just stay and not get worse or better? I’m curious because of what I’ve been experiencing lately seems like cognitive decline thats progressive and just wanted to know everyone else’s experience

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Mine seemed to get worse for a few years then it improved along with other symptoms. I am now working again with a sharp mind. I do, however, get relapses when my mind is very slow and short term memory a serious problem.
    • Posted

Hi David, did your memory get better with treatment? Or by itself because what i’m experiencing is pretty bad. If you could describe your memory problems to me i would really appreciate it!
    • Posted

I remember when it was at its height (about 22 years ago!) and it was so bad I got suicidal. I was in a high-pressure City job working for one of the big banks when suddenly I couldn't remember my own name. I felt like a vegetable. I had to leave my job and find more mundane work. I did not have a diagnosis and couldn't get one. My life fell apart. I was in a fog for about 10 years but then things improved and now I only get bouts - which are a reminder of how bad things were. In detail, I couldn't remember anything I was told and I had no interest in anything. The 'spark' had gone. I just wanted to be by myself. I also had difficulty understanding simple instructions - e.g. if a then b but if c then d. I was in a mental fog which slowed anything going in or out.

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I would echo the above. For me it's been one of the most painful consequences of Lyme Disease. I prized my good memory and i don't think it will ever be what it once was. And I seem to have lost the ability to plan - just kind of moving along day to day. But with herbs, diet etc. it has gotten to a point where I find it acceptable. If my brain gets foggy it's usually a flag that I'm not taking care of myself properly.

• Posted

I’m glad it got better for you! Could you describe your cognitive problems for me please just curious and trying to see if they relate to mine
    • Posted

hey I am currently dealing with short term memory loss. For me it seems to be the simpliest of things. I am constanyly losing things I had just a few minutes prior. I forget if I did something. Let the dog back in, turn off stove exc. My long term memory is great. Short not so much.

• Posted

Dear RelentlessWill (by the way cool nick name),

I have been diagnosed for Five years with LATE STAGE LYME DISEASE along with multiple other severe ailments.

Well I thought about your questions on Cognitive decline patterns. 

Very quickly I became deathly ill this is when my cognitive decline started dramatically five years ago. I went from being Fordham University Pre-Ames graduate and then on to Nursing school in the BSN program until I left to care for my dying Uncle. No regrets on leaving though because I spent the rest of my Uncle’s life with him. And this was before diagnosed with Late Stage Lyme.

When I got sick my whole body literally gave up. I was dying until Christ and a team of Doctors that are super stars stepped in. Properly diagnosing me and then immediately I started aggressive antibiotic treatment. At this point the cognitive decline was drastic. As I was saying I went from being that highly intelligent student to literally unable to make change or pay in a common store. It was like I became totally juvenile not in behavior, but in knowledge. I was unable to read, use a computer, write and the list goes on. 

Then, over a long period of time on mass Antibiotic treatment along with IVIG-Gammaguard five hour infusions I began to see light at the end of the tunnel. I began to get better cognitively. Slowly but surely. 

Although I had a set back from the disease recently and began quickly declining but NOTHING like the hell I lived. If there is anymore I can help with please feel free to reach out. You are in my prayers. 

Rob 

• Posted

Rob, 

I neee to speak to someone. Are you able to email me? 

• Posted

How are you doing ?? Is treatment helping you ? Hope you are feeling much better .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.