Question for those with prolactinoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a female, 24, and have questions about Prolactinoma.

3 years ago I went to the doctor for lactation despite not being pregnant. They ordered an ultrasound to be done on both breasts to check for tumors, found nothing, and told me it was most likely from over-stimulation due to my chest piercings... would that trigger lactation...?

Recently read about a pituitary tumor which can cause lactation, headaches and difficulty with vision/peripheral vision. I don't experience the other symptoms but every body is different.

My question I suppose is if I should schedule with a different doctor to get a second opinion. I haven't had any changes in those symptoms in these three years since. Does thus sound similar to experiences anyone else has had?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

(continued) regarding the symptoms with vision, my right pupil has always been more dilated than the left. dilate correctly with light, shrink after, but is a noticeable millimeter larger than the other. The eye doctor had no explanation, and nothing appeared on an MRI when I was 12. so perhaps I'm in the wrong section and the two issues are unrelated

• Posted

Hi, ask your doctor for blood tests to check your prolactin levels. If your prolactin is elevated and you are not pregnant, the likely cause is a prolactinoma. This was my case. My doctor checked my prolactin level through blood labs. Then I went for an MRI which confirmed the presence of a tumor in my pituitary gland. I have been taking medication for 4 years which has controlled the lactation. My issues only started 5 years ago. It is likely nothing showed for you in an MRI from 12 years ago since the tumor had not developed then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.