Question-Has it been long enough?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for 11 weeks (1 week 10mg, 6 weeks 20mg, 4 weeks 30mg) and still don't feel like it's kicked in 100%. It seems to help with my mood and motivation a little bit, but my anxiety is still really, really high. I have the feeling like a tight band is around my head at times as well as paresthesia on my right side of face into lips/tongue at times. Of course this makes me think the worse, (Stroke, MS etc. I have NO other symptoms of any of this stuff as I know these are just very irrational thoughts) as everything I read seems like it's stress/anxiety related. I have had the tight band around my head many times before and doctor said it's most likely anxiety/depression but the tingling is new. Or maybe it's seasonal allergies? When I went up to 30mg, I started getting ringing in my ear as well, right ear. I have been on many SSRIs, SNRIS, without long term success in the past 4-5 years. I was dealing with panic attacks as well and only have had 2 in the past 11 weeks, so some pros are going on. Just don't know if I have given the medication long enough? And, why am I getting these uncomfortable feelings sin my face? I took an anxiety test my doctor gave me and my score was 21/21, I feel like I should have seen some benefit by now since my panic attacks stopped. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Each time you increase you can experience side effects as listed on your leaflet. Heightened anxiety, headaches (like you've explained) etc. The feelings in your face are all anxiety related symptoms. You need to give the dose longer to level out in your system. Thankfully you're now 4 weeks in so you should start to experience better days soon and the side effects will lesson. I'm. Just going into week 7 of 10mg and am almost recovered. But not completely, I would go as far as saying you won't feel the full benefits until atleast 12 weeks. Hold on and keep going it will get better. Are you from the UK? Have you looked into self referral to vitaminds? It's a free therapy service. I am being added to a Worry Management course in a few months through it at no charge.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. No, the US...many doctors over here say 4-6 weeks per dose increase, and if no positive results they switch to the next drug. These feelings suck, guess I have to just stay hopeful and give it more time.

• Posted

Yeah the doctors here also suggest the same. But this forum has helped me to really understand how long this medication takes to work from true experience. I didn't feel back to myself until I was 9 weeks in the first time I took this medication.

• Posted

I have been on it for 11 weeks. That's why I'm wondering how long to give it. How long (in weeks) do you give each dosage before you decide to up the dosage or go down?

• Posted

Thanks. I started a blood pressure medication (losartan) two weeks ago and noticed my anxiety has been worse since. Not sure if this drug can have an impact on depression and anxiety as a side effect as it has helped my bp, but as I mentioned my mood is down more and anxiety is up too. I contacted my doctor's today to ask them.

• Posted

How are you doing now, you feeling any better.

• Posted

Nope. Worse. Anxiety has been crippling, mood low. My doctor wants me to stop the blood pressure medication because she thinks it might be impacting my mood and anxiety. We'll see. But yesterday and today have been rough, irrational thoughts, panic like symptoms. Not fun.

• Posted

Stopping blood pressure medication didn't help anxiety or depression. Dread, fear, impending doom like something bad is going to happen and I'm never going to get better has been taking over, especially at night. Not feeling good at all. Doctor wants me to taper off celexa and go on something else. Feel awful and lost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.