Question - is Orlistat the best option?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Folks,

after some advice here.

I have been taking orlistat for a few weeks and initially saw good weight loss but for the last month haven't lost anything.

I have been thinking. if orlistat works by removing fat from your diet then if I follow a low fat diet anyway, is the orlistat actually doing anything?

I am seriously thinking of asking my doctor to try something else as i have just about cut fat out of my diet anyway.

Thoughts? I still intend to keep up with the weight loss but maybe by another means.

Lelly xx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i am starting to think the same thing. I have only started using them and i know it is maybe too soon to say but i just cant seem to fit in that much fat into my food per day.

Started thinking yesterday if i really just stick to eating properly like i have started then im bound to lose too....

i will give the tablets some time but i know what you mean completely.

• Posted

Lelly M.....dear girl...you HAVE to eat at least 25-30 grams of fat per day so the medication can get to work....that is the secret and it's so hard to get that into our heads after trying one's best to keep the fat to a minimum. This is a new regime...mind boggling really that you CAN eat more fat and lose....please don't give up LellyM.....we love reading your posts and if you take more fat we know the posts will be positive. Are you recording what you eat...that's an easy way (although time consuming) to keep track of the fat....my indulgences are Necafe Cappucino and WW ice creams......some bacon (oh what taste after none for 6 weeks) and read RR's posts, LellyM, they will educate you as they have done me.

Please review your fat intake and we'll be going down.

My best wishes to you on your endeavours....chin up!!!

• Posted

I will try to increase my fat intake. I guess if lunch morphs from fat free soup to cheese and crackers that will help.

I know that when I do eat fat the tabs work (19lbs in 3 weeks don't lie) but recently I have eaten fats but had no apparent reaction. I know the orange oil is nasy but it is reassurance that something is happening.

I will stick with it for the time being.

Thanks

Lelly xx

• Posted

I know what you mean LellyM.

Ive been on Orlistat for 9 days now and had absolutely no side effects at all until this morning,which was Orange Oil :lol:

But i ate more fat on purpose yesterday to get a side effect,the oil is reassuring that somethings working.

x

• Posted

Hi Clare,

Like you I am testing the tabs today. Lunch was a huge cheese and mayo sarnie + a pkt of crisps (estimate 60 - 70g of fat) so if that doesn't work then nothing will.

I must be mad!!!!!

Lelly xx

• Posted

LellyM I hope you've stationed yourself close to a toilet today!! ;-)
  • Posted

LellyM, oh dear god.

Brave or crazy?????? I hope you enjoyed the sarnie. I am killing for some of my favs, I daren't !!

I hope any side effects are short lived, and quick to leave.

x

• Posted

i has told to avoid cheese and eggs.... because of the side effects
  • Posted

Sorry to disappoint folks but the cheese mayo sarnie and crisps did nothing.

No reaction at all!

The only thing I still react to is Indian food! Even the chinese takeaway on Satruday night didn't do anything.

So i am now confused even more.

I want to lose weight but i can't eat any more fats as my gallstones will cripple me.

I have an appt witht eh doc this pm so will ask her advice. She is very supportive!

lelly xx

• Posted

I am doubting that these tablets are even going to help me shift a pound! After a disappointing first week I took it upon myself to \"test\" the tablets last night... nothing.... :cry:
  • Posted

4 WEEKS - NO WEIGHT LOSS.... sad( Whats happening! Healthy eating - average exercise.... sad
  • Posted

Well I will be discussing apetite supressors this afternoon.

I know I eat if I am bored, lonely or miserable (not a good combination when you are also a depressive!).

I need to follow a low fat diet for the gallstones so increasing the fat intake isnt really an option unless I want to spend most days with my head down the toilet!

I just need to find a way to not turn to food when I am not feeling strong.

The phrase \"comfort food\" really rings bells.

Lelly xx

• Posted

OK, went to the docs, got weighed and I have lost nothing in the last month.

But sticking with it - well I would if I could get any blueys. All the pharmacies are out of stock and can't gurarntee when they will have any.

The pharmacist i spoke to actually said that if he were the suspicious type he'd think they were cutting back on the presciption strength ones to try and force us all to buy double quantities of Alli which would make them more money!!

The thought had crossed my mind also! Surely with the \"obesity epidemic\" the press keep telling us about Roche have thought to up their production levels?

Apparently not!

Lelly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.