Question on belly ache

Posted , 6 users are following.

I spent Oct 5th to Oct 28th in ICU and hospital.  I have acute necrotizing pancreatitis. I have 3 cysts, 1 is large.  They do not want to drain until I’m healed.  I am not a big drinker nor had gall stones.  I have to go back every month for a CT scan.  

My problem is I have a belly ache every single day and night.  It never goes away.  I can not go or do anything I feel so bad.  I’m struggling eating but do my best. 

My question is the constant belly ache normal or do I need to call before my appt on the 28th. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay, I have chronic pancreatites. I have stomach ache every day as well. No matter what I eat. My stomach also swells and I have chronic diarrhoea. I also have a psudocyst but just 1, I very rarely get out and I am so fed up with the pain all the time. I think the stomach ache is normal as far as I know. No one has told me any diffrrent. I have been in hospital twice. I don't drink or smoke. I don't think you should drink at all as it makes the pancreas flare up. Please don't think I'm judging you. I know that alcohol is very bad for the pancreas so please try and not drink. Even if it's only once a week. Don't know if I've helped any. Hope so.

• Posted

I don’t drink at all.  I did some prior to my hospital stay.  I’ll never drink anything again !! I also am watching everything I eat. 

I’m so sick I’m home all the time.   I just want the nausea and pain to go away !!!

• Posted

I am very similar at this point to u. Mine started from drinking though, I spent two weeks in a coma with my first acute necrotizing attack. I quit drinking but have had many attacks since so it's chronic. Now I also have cysts. The daily pain is unbearable. It was unbearable prior to the cysts. I've had so many scans my doctor only does them now if it is a really bad flare up or something is unusual. Two months ago a scan showed cysts but my doctor didn't say much about them. This month during a flare up he did another one and said they grew significantly.  He put in a nasal feeding tube and said his hope is that it calms down the pancreas and it is the only way other than draining or surgery to help the cysts go away. I'm not sure if he meant they would actually disappear or if he meant the would shrink. I will have the feeding tube for two months. My body doesn't agree with these tubes and causes severe pain in my throat. This is my third time with the tube so maybe third times a charm. If this doesn't calm everything down significantly then I will be having a total pancreatectomy if I am eligible. I have had the usual pain in the middle upper abdomen but I also have pain to the right and left. I know my pancreas has necrotised on both sides so I don't know which side my cysts are on to know if they are specifically painful or not. Life has changed dramatically for me also. I rarely leave my house because of pain. Most days I am sitting hunched over holding a heating on my belly. If you only had the one attack fingers crossed your pain is still left over from that and the cysts and you will be able to return to a normal life. Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Kathy.  When I go back for scan on the 28th the cysts shrinking or growing will determine what he does.  I’ll have the surgery to drain if it will help.  

I will not do tubes !!!! They about killed me in the hospital.  I can not function with that tube down my nose !!!

I pray for you to find some relief.  

• Posted

Pancreatitis pain is very painful, it depends gave you anything for pain when you were released.
  • Posted

I think with all that you have going on, and they waiting for you to heal before they treat you tells me that it would be abnormal not to hurt. Your pancreas is a very sensitive organ. One of the most sensitive. It does not fair well to have anything out of the norm effect it. I have chronic calcification of pancreas and at times hurt. Try Re-positioning while at rest. Sometimes in a fetal position will Help take the pressure off of the pancreas. I would google home remedies for pancreatic pain. You never know what things might help. My Dr. had me on 2 Percocet 10’s every 8 hours. He just changed it to Oxycodone, NOT OxyContin, because of all the Tylenol I was taking that isn’t good for you. I would see your Dr. and ask him for pain management with a low dose of Percocet for break through pain. Pancreatic disease is very painful. He should be making you as comfortable as he can even if it means having you on a low dose of an opiate. If he refuses, see another Dr. You can’t hurt the way that I know that you’re hurting without some relief. Just be careful because as you know this med can be addictive. But, a small dose just to help you over difficult times shouldn’t concern him. I’m sorry I don’t have anything else to offer you. But, I know there are home remedies that might help somewhat. Good Luck and keep us posted. 

DjRn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.