Question or women with AS...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am just starting to see a rheumatologist following a positive HLA-B27 test and an MRI that showed inflammation of the SI joints. My pain is in the lower back, hip, buttocks, tailbone and legs, for about 6 months. I had my annual gyn exam yesterday and it was very painful. The rheumatologist said there is no definitive test for AS. I carry the gene and have symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to start treatment. Im thinking I should rule out gyn causes for my pain - like fibroids - because of the discomfort during the pelvic exam. Is this to be expected with AS? MY gyn didn't seem too concerned.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Some 36 yrs ago my AS started the same way. Pain in Sacral Joints, marker and low back. Initially I was misdiagnosed and Radiology missed the AS. Regular Xray in those days. Best

• Posted

Hi Teri, I also had the fears you have experienced as AS does present with some strange pains in odd places so one can't help but think Gyn, e.g. fibroids or worse. I would suggest seeing another doctor and asking for an Ultrasound. I just had one, completely painless and noninvasive. It will show any abnormalities in the uterus, ovaries and surrounds. and other areas too if you ask. It will put your mind at some ease and rule out a point of stress for you. Wish you well...G

• Posted

I have a message in to my doctor to request this. Thanks for the reply. I worry that I'm viewed as a hypochondriac by my doctors. Probably because I have been feeling unwell and in pain for years. A small part of me is relieved that it has a name and can be treated!

• Posted

Who cares if a doctor thinks you are a hypochondriac, they say that, or think it coz they just don,t know what else to say. So many doctors have a problem diagnosing AS because they are not familiar with it and don't know where to start with a real diagnosis. Find another doctor and don't stop your quest till you find one who listens and understands. Don't give up. G

• Posted

Oh my rheumatologist is wonderful. Lots of info, very straightforward. My gyn didn't think pain during the pelvic exam was worrisome. In light of AS, maybe its to be expected. You're right though, best to r/o gyn causes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.