Question re Bone broth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

New to group so hi everyone. I was in a traumatic accident in 1980 and I almost lost my leg. I was only 16. 12 surgeries later at that time I still have my leg, disfigured , arthrodesis (fused) at the knee, nerves were severed so no real feeling in lower leg and most of foot. Now all these years later I have lots of pain and inflammation due to degerative/osteoarthritis. I had xrays awhile back that show severe bone on bone so it looks as if I have no cartridge or synovial fluid at all. I can sometimes hear the bones grinding. Sorry I know that sounds ...Well...Eeewww....But don't know how else to explain. I want to start drinking bone broth but how can it help my arthritis in my ankle and foot if I don't have any cartridge at all? I will try moist heat wraps nightly and try to rotate my ankle to get more range of motion to see if that helps. Will bone broth help me? Weaning off of Gabapentin. Thanks in advance. smile

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Many years ago I was involved in a car accident that has also given me OA. Once it gets to bone on bone unless you can grow new cartridge, the only solution for me has been joint replacements which has left me pain free. 
    • Posted

Hi there. Thanks for your reply. Do you know anything that can grow new cartridge? I have heard a bit about stem cell. Is this what you may be thinking? I don't think getting a ankle or foot replacement is in the cards for me. A doc told me he could fuse my ankle but hmmm... I don't think I want to go down that road. Will try Chinese herbs and see if that helps. Again thanks!

• Posted

Stem cell is early days. The pain is caused by bone on bone, if they fuse the joint the pain goes. I would prefer no pain to a joint that is fused. In my experience over time the pain just gets so bad that you need very powerful drugs to numb it and they send me to sleep. 
    • Posted

Meant to say prefer no pain over a joint that is not fused so I would get if fused and kill the pain
    • Posted

I sort of agree with you re removing pain but I've been told by both my GP and the orthopaedic surgeon that if they fuse the joint it will remove all flex in the ankle and I will have a severely disable walking gait, which will put excessive wear and tear pressure on both the knee and hip in that leg and affect the other leg too - which will cause major problems down the line.  Given the options, I definitely do not want the joint fused at present until I've exhausted all other routes to ease the pain - its too drastic a step and once done cannot ever be reversed.

• Posted

I too had a major accident - in 2008 - where I nearly lost one foot at the ankle.  I had splintered and powdered bone.  It was saved, with insertion of many plates and bolts etc.  It killed off all the cartilage so it's also bone on bone.  There isnt a joint replacement option for ankles, the only thing offered has been fusing of the joint which I've declined as it would remove all flex and make it difficult to walk and I've been told this would then lead to extreme wear and tear on both the knee and hip joint of that leg and probably put excessive wear and tear on the other leg.  I've been through a whole list of pain meds; I have adverse reactions to opiods (they make me vomit, so dont stay in the system long enough to work), anti inflamms cause serious stomach problems and things like paracetamol just dont do much.  I've tried more natural remedies, including supplements and dietary things like ginger, curcumin, etc etc etc.  The hunt goes on.  I've not heard about bone broth but i'm vegetarian so wouldnt be able to go that route.  Every couple of years I get called for surgery to remove bone spurs by arthroscopy and while the improvement is short lived, its amazing how much better both the movement and the reduction in pain is after they've done it.  I had just one course of physio offered with exercises to strengthen the join and that helped enormously too.  Recently saw a rheumatologist for other issues and she's recommended gabapentin but I'm not keen to start as feedback on these forums is somewhat negative about side effects etc.  I took amitryptaline for a short while but they caused violent dreams and day time hallucinations, so my doctor took me off that.  I know what you mean about the grinding noises, its almost as bad as the pain - quite upsetting to know that your bones are wearing themselves down against each other.  I've been trying to find out info about stem cell therapies but there isnt much about it in the UK, it seems the USA is way ahead for this type of treatment but its obviously too expensive over here.

• Posted

Hi Lorie,

Interesting that you mention stem cells because my accupuncturist mentioned this on my first visit with him. I don't think the accupuncture treatments I am getting will work for my OA and he even said that he doesn't know why but accupuncture works well for OA in the back, hips and knees but below the knee and in to the foot it doesn't seem to work via his experience and research. I was bummed to hear this. I took Chinese herbs awhile back and that seemed to really ...Really help so I will ask my accupuncturist if he can give me some of those. I had an appointment yesterday with a physical therapist to figure out how to prevent the really bad zapper nerve pain I had a couple of weeks ago that had me in tears and pain so bad I wanted to vomit. Had to go home from work as I couldn't bare weight .. Couldn't walk...Was very frightening and just TOTALLY horrible. He thinks I need to protect the muscles in my lower back and this will quite possibly prevent the nerves running down my left bad leg and foot. He said he doesn't think bone broth will do much for my OA in left leg and foot which disappointed me. I will still try it. I have not been on any major drugs in all these years accept Meloxicam(no side affects) for inflammation started about 2 yrs ago took daily then about 6 no later it stopped. I take one as needed now. I started Gabapentin about 2 weeks ago when I had that zapper shooting nerve pain but hate that it makes me sleepy and weepy wanna cry feeling. Weaning off now. I will look into stem cell and see what I can find. Probably very expensive and very doubtful that insurance will pay. Thanks for your feedback. Our journey continues. All the best to you!

• Posted

Anything I find online about stem cell treatments is not UK based.  I believe they offer it frequently in the USA but yes I'm guessing it is very expensive.   Here in the UK we are restricted to cheap pill prescriptions and are expected to get on with it.  It apparently works best with early onset OA however and because I've spent over 9 years trying to get help with mine, it may be too late to help anyhow with my problem.  Scientists in Sweden are forging ahead with studies into growing cartilage in the lab, but again we in the UK wont get offered this treatment for many years even when its ready.  Something as simple as a piece of 'cushion' between bones and the only treatment is painkillers...makes me a little angry.  Medical science is so advanced but I think OA sufferers are somewhat the forgotten army - OA is not glamorous enough.

• Posted

Well I personally would like to have my leg just amputated and get an artificial leg ...above the knee so I could bend my knee and get on with living a more active life. I work on my feet all day as a Mammography technologist and really REALLY need to end this pain in my ankle and foot. I have 12 more years to work. ON MY FEET ALL day. I won't give up trying to find a solution. I was 16 when hurt and my Dad made the decision to tell the doctor to try to re attach the leg. They did... so great....I guess???? Artificial legs then we're not what they are today. A consult with a bone doctor told me I would have to be in debilitating pain for them to amputate. I don't want to glamorize getting an artificial leg but gee whiz I have been dealing with this for 2-3 years now which I know is nothing compared to others and the pain and years of pain. Having a fused knee is not fun AT ALL. ... however I have been able to carry on w a normal life so for that I am grateful. Physical therapy, bone broth and Chinese herbs is my next plan of action. ...Will also look into stem cell . I agree how difficult could it be to inject some cushiony cartridge type thingy into the joint space...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.