Question regarding lichen sclerosis and stress

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have found in the 18 months since i was discovered i had this condition there is not a great deal of research and i wondered if it could be stress related. i have always been a massive worrier and stress levels are high. what do other sufferers think, could there be a connection?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think it's a known fact that stress triggers LS flares and I am sure mine started when I was going through a particularly stressful time in my life. Stress does effect the immune system. I have recently had an increase in symptoms (irritation and soreness) and am sure it is because I am worrying about an up-coming knee op. I am pleased to say upping my steroid applications has helped.

We all need to try and find a way of avoiding stress as much as possible - easy to say when we all worry about the disease itself which is stressful!

• Posted

I think that mine is triggered from stress as well. I always seem to get a flareup when something is upsetting me. I am avoiding certain foods but I don't think that food is doing it. We are going through a lot in our family right now and LS is really acting up. Its really hard to not get stressed when things are difficult, especially when you worry so much.

Laurie

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

I read medical journals and am in the middle of a big research effort here before I have to go back for spring semester (I am a college professor with a PhD) . There is DEFINITELY a known and highly correlated link between stress of many kinds and flare ups of LS. There is some suggestion in the literature that stress may even cause it but that has not been proven.

When we are stressed (and in general women respond to stressors differently then most men) our immune system responds by sending out T cells that look for invaders, foreigners that don't belong, like viruses and bacteria. Today we have to include toxins in our food, water, and air. It could be an emotional upset and Lord knows we have enough of those. It is true that one particular product or food can cause problems in the skin like LS. When we get too many alarms, our immune systems cannot handle it and the killer cells get overwhelmed and confused and begin to attack our own body's tissues. This is an over simplification but, in essence, true. LS and various similar diseases are increasing at a fast rate according to 2 of my gyns. It is also true that just living produces "free radicals" or atoms or molecules that have a free electron hanging around waiting to steal another electron from another cell. That's why we must have anti-oxidants, to balance out the number of free-radicals that circulate in our bodies. When the free radicals balance out the anti-oxidants, then our bodies are in homeostasis, or "balance." Problem is, we live a stress filled life that is rarely in balance. The toxic environment we live in poses more dangers to our immune system. Just read the label on your hand soap, dish soap, hand lotion, laundry detergent, or the packaged foods you eat on a daily basis. Can you pronounce the names of the chemicals? Do you know what the do when inside your body? Doubtful. Are all these chemicals tested for safety? NO.

So, we are attacked by these substances we routinely consume. Unless we also consume additional antioxidants in the form of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, we will quickly get out of homeostasis or unbalanced. Then our cells experience "Oxidative stress" and that's when problems starts, too much oxidative stress caused by excessive free radicals disrupts cellular processes. LS is the result of one of the disrupted cellular processes.

So- de-stress no matter what it takes, clean up your food and diet, get a good water filter, stop smoking, invest in vit c, e, d, glutathione, SOD (superoxide dismutase) and perhaps quercetin and resveratrol This takes time to even turn yourself back around from your current path to go back toward health. Wish you luck.

• Posted

Rachael- Your research should have shown you that STRESS is the #1 cause of LS. I have noticed that by reducing my stress, cutting out anything that doesn't " bring me joy", and cutting- out sugar and grains, my LS is much easier to live with. One day at a time, see what works for you, but STRESS is def. a HUGE factor.

• Posted

Yes, I totally agree. It is very easy these days to get support with cutting out certain foods from your diet to assist auto immune but I have also experienced that there is a more to discover about how we are living in general that affects auto immune and in particular LS and it's affect on our delicate genital area which mostly affects women.

• Posted

thank you for the replies. i thought it would contribute towards it, yet after paying for a private consultation the doctor didnt think so. More research is needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.