Question regarding morning stiffness....

Posted , 11 users are following.

I previously posted that my rheumatologist doubts this is PMR due to my age, 56, and lack of elevated inflammation markers.  My symptoms seem to be spot on, which is why my GP referred me to rheumatology.  After following this forum for the last month, I tend to agree with my GP - my symptoms seem to be match, except for the morning stiffness. 

While I do experience some extra stiffness following inactivity, I don't feel that I have worse stiffness and pain in the morning which eases in an hour or two.  Mornings seem to be best for me.  My stiffness gets worse throughout my busy day, and pain increases the more active I am.  Or maybe the pain gets worse, which makes me tighten up more?  Whatever, I am best in the morning, deteriorating throughout the day.  

Does this sound like PMR to any of you?  Have any of you experienced this?  Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Martha

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Martha, having been on this site for months and read hundreds of comments from sufferers around the world, I can say with certainty that "age 60" is a sweeping generalization and that "no blood markers" means nothing. Lots and lots of folks on this site whi have been diagnosed with PMR in their 40s and 50s.  Many more who have had blood tests all in the normal range.  I am one of them.

let me add that the pain and inflammation of PMR seems to have a mind of its own and strikes everyone differently. Interestingly and anecdotally, it appears to me that PMR seems to strike women differently than men. 

Those se are my observations, for what it's worth.  I think in an earlier thread you were advised to find a different rheumatologist. If that was not you, then my first time advice would be to find a different rheumatologist!

• Posted

Haha.  Yes, Daniel, it was me!.  I'm waiting for a referral for a new rheumatologist.  I just want to be armed with as much knowledge and information as possible!  As this "worse in the morning" bit is the only part of my symptoms that doesn't seem to fit, I just want to hear if others have experienced this as well.  I was sure that I've read that on here, but wanted to hear it specifically. 

​Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge.  It is invaluable!

• Posted

Before I was diagnosed at Christmas, I was getting awful pain in my hips from 5pm onwards which lasted all night but improved once I got out of bed.  Because I was pain free during the day the GP just told me to take paraceptamol.  I was diagnosed in A&E after 3 weeks as had pain in all the muscles by then with elevated CRP and ESR levels and culdn't stand it a moment longer.  I was put on 30mg pred and most of the pain disappeared within a few day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.