Questioning if it truly is IBS.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I'm literally at my wits end with all of this and need some others opinions. It's a bit lengthy so bare with me. Everything will be as raw and honest as possible so keep that in mind if it'll gross you out at all.

In the beginning of June I got food poisoning and haven't been right since. I got it after our fridge broke and I ate chicken that had gone off (precooked chicken that got too hot), I vomited orangey coloured sick twice (one straight after the other) and that was that. It was awful as naturally I'm not a sickly person and the last time I was before this was years and years ago (at least 6, likely more) but that was that, it took me about a week to start eating to my regular diet but I was back and fine, then a week after I had orange juice and just plummeted again. I felt sick every day (but wasn't), my stomach wouldn't stop hurting and groaning and all I had was gas and more gas. My bowel movements were still somewhat normal but when I was anxious they were worse. I had times where I felt incredibly ill and times where I felt semi-okay. They did a stool test and that came back clean.

So, same thing, I recovered from that and was somewhat okay - not great, I stuck to the food I knew was okay and ate a lot of that (sandwiches, certain crisps/chips, etc, nothing out of the normal for my regular diet).

Then a few days ago I had battered sausage and chips and curry sauce from the chip shop and oh.. it was awful. I felt fine at the time, maybe a little bloated but not too bad. However I woke up at 3 am in so much pain and the next day I was on and off the toliet all day, doing small bowel movements that ranged from being normal to runny but there was so many. I went to my doctors and she gave me imodium and that was that, I didn't eat for the rest of that day because I was too paranoid. So the next day I ate nothing but plain rice about twice, but still woke up the following morning around 3 am with awful stomach pains. The next day I upgraded jacket potato and nice biscuits and woke up at 5 am with somewhat bad pains and then that brings us to today where I've had wholemeal toast with a butter oil spread, hula hoops (crisps).

I keep getting a burning sensation in my stomach for no reason too, I kept dismissing it for hunger but after looking into it, it seems stomach ulcers can cause it too, after suggesting this to my doctor he just got annoyed and said there's no way I can have one as none of my symptoms match (which is false from what I've seen about them) and that I just have IBS. I was also told my IBS would pass but it's been three months since I got the food poisoning and I can still hardly eat. After eating anything, no matter what, I generally get heartburn or indigestion. I don't know why I'm waking up at these weird times, I generally don't even need to go to the toliet after I wake up. I don't really get much bloating (which is strange considering it's the most common IBS symptom).

Through all this I've not really improved, since the food poisoning I've just felt nausea almost every day, had stomach or back aches, stomach pains/burning and just generally felt awful.

I've had blood tests ran and found out I'm lacking quite bad in vitamin D and they're retesting me for some more blood tests (not sure what off the top of my head, feel free to ask if you're curious and I'll find out).

Another little piece of info, I think I've always had a lowscale form of IBS as I've always had cramps after sex and small reactions to food that last for a few of my bowel movements, not the entire day like last time. Any questions please ask, I'm honestly at my wits end and unsure how much more I can take with this all.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Little update for anyone who's interested!

I'm doing somewhat better, I've reintroduced a few things back into my diet but I'm still sticking mostly to what I know. I've slowed down on the Gaviscon and most days only take it once or twice (however on days where I feel really. bad I'll take it three or four times - which is what my doctor recommended for me to take every day).

Pretty much every morning I wake up earlyish (between 6-7 usually) and have cramps for about 30 minutes, go to the toliet and then they go. Some mornings I can eat and feel okay and others I can't eat and it makes me feel awful, just feels like some days my body's cool with stuff and other days it's just not really feeling it.

I've been getting cramps here and there, bad chest pains too and when I feel really really awful I find I tend to get a lot of palpatations (forgive me, I can't spell atm), hope that's normal? I get them usually pretty minorly but these are really strong so who knows, might be something to mention to my doctor when I see them again. But yeah, that's about all! If anyone has any meal suggestions, I'd appreciate it! I want to move onto some other meals, just not really sure what's light enough on my stomach at the moment. I know it probably seems like I'm taking forever to recover (trust me, I know it does!) but I would rather do it slowly than get ill time and time again. smile

• Posted

Hi Judy, sounds like you're on the mind sometimes it's a case of mind over matter to eat, keep it bland, keep it to little and often and add foods via trial and error. Good luck trying though, if you start to add more substantive things you'll discover you can cut the Gaviscon down. Good luck and we'll done without sarcasm.

• Posted

Thanks so much! I think I'm on the mend for sure, it's just taking a long time and sometimes just doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere even though I know I am. For sure, it's 100% a mind over matter thing sometimes, I have a history with anxiety anyway so that doesn't help haha! I get nervous at the best of times so eating can sometimes be this whole ordeal but I've just kinda learnt to get on with it now because I know I have to eventually. I've had a few new things here and there but still things that are quite bland, I haven't had anything too interesting as of yet but I'm hoping I'll get back to how I was soon haha, it's frustrating to feel so behind, I honestly feel like a child sometimes with it all! How I miss normal foods, regular me would be shocked at how much I miss things like sweetcorn haha. I've already started cutting the Gaviscon down (which is great, I'm really enjoying it - I think I was getting anxious about taking it so much to be honest), I took it three times yesterday because I felt really off but today I've only had it once and I didn't even really need to, I had no major symptoms, I just took it so I didn't go completely cold turkey on my body after taking it quite often and regularly. Thanks for your support! It's nice to have someone else's opinion! My family and partner have been majorly supportive but they obviously don't know what it's really like and how awful it feels and it's just too difficult to explain sometimes, the amount of times my partner's had to try and calm me down because I'm crying over missing proper meals is ridiculous haha! Thanks again, it's lovely to have someone's thoughts smile 

• Posted

Hi Judy this is a daft and perhaps repeated comment to make but the stress thing is key I find, stress does my IBS no good so when I'm at home I counterbalance the stress with yoga and go from there. Try bland foods when stressed and a bit more when not. I'm glad I helped people tell me I don't help them, they're are some weird people in this world. Just one other thing, have you been tested for diverticulosis?

• Posted

I found before stress really wasn't making anything play up but now it is, I've been feeling quite down recently (mostly due to going back on my birth control, it takes awhile for my system + emotions to adjust) and yesterday I felt so so sick until I finally caved into my emotions and cried lol, so I think stress is playing a part after all!

Oh yeah! I have plans to do yoga, just haven't gotten round to doing it yet haha.

Haha everyone's different I guess! Strange how it all works.

Not as far as I'm aware! Is it tested via bloods? Also did you get your bloods back? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.