Questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been diagnosed with diverticulitis.  Last couple of weeks have experienced pain lower left quadrant. Cramping, loose stools.  Not sure what to eat.  Pain is not terrible but uncomfortable and loose stools making me anxious.  Are these symptoms of diver?? Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

lynda

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynda, have you had any tests?

I had/have symptoms similar to yours, sometimes worse than others and when the tests were completed was when the diagnosis was made, but little advice for management until I went back to GP. Who advised Naproxen for pain, omeporazole to ease acid reflux and reduce possible side effects from the Naproxen. With regard to diet you will see on here the advice varies and what aggrevate symptoms in one person is fine for another. I have found fasting 2 days a week (5:2 diet) exercising gently and making sure I keep well hydrated helps. I also take fybogel and aloe Vera juice and probiotics.

I'm not sure what I have said will help as I found this condition is a minefield in terms of management. I do wish you all the very best.

P ☺

• Posted

Hi Pauline

thks for your reply.  I had an endoscope and colonoscopy a few years ago.  Colon was fine.  I have GERD and take pills for it.  All this bowel stuff is making me anxious.  Also a lot of gurgling in bowel area.  Just fearful.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I totally understand your anxiety, it can really be disruptive. it can really help to practice relaxation /breathing techniques. I have found this helpful when the pain is bad and/or uncomfortable. I wish you all the very best.

Pauline

• Posted

It help to give your a bowel a rest and just stay on lots of fluid for a couple of days
  • Posted

Hi Lynda,

I was like that for 3 1/2 weeks. For me personally I find taking probiotics helpful.  I eat activia yougurt and drink Kefir probiotic Milk.  I also keep a food diary so that I can look back if I have a flare up and see what may be causing it. I only eat 1 small meal a day so that I can take my liver meds and make sure they are eaily digestable foods. well cooked mashed eggs, potatoes, carrots etc. I also take a fibre suppliment called Metamusil.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

Sunni

• Posted

Hi again Lynda,

I forgot to say I stick to a mainly liquid diet during flare ups.  Lots of water, soy milk (lactose intolerant) thick soups (tomatoe, cream of chicken, mushroom etc) I also take meal replacements to keep my vitamin and nutrient levels ok.

Sunni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.