Questions about Anemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I recently got a new roommate and she told me anemic, however her family and friends did tell me when she was moving in that she has a tendency to make up illnesses which is making me question what she is telling me a bit. I was hoping you guys could help me just understand if what she is telling me are actually symptoms of anemia because some of what she is telling me has been leading to arguments between us and I'm just trying to understand where she is coming from.

she told me that she has a sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures but that the cold is worse and leads to headaches. She said that the temperature in our room (which I don't believe at its lowest has probably gone below the mid 60s) is freezing cold and is leading her to have constant headaches in the room.

Like I said I am just trying to understand what she is telling me are actually symptoms of anemia or what might be going on with her. please understand I am not trying to call her a liar or anything like that, but the temperature in our room is starting to become a huge problem and causing arguments between us and I just want to understand if what she is telling me is actually medically driven so I can try to find a way to make this work for us. Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Tricky to share a room with a new person when you have no say over who you get. Anaemia does not commonly cause temperature sensitivity. Never heard of headaches caused by temps of mid 60s! Sounds like she is a bit of an oversensitive individual. Who has control over the thermostat? 
    • Posted

It is an air conditioner that is in our window (we are in a college dorm room) and its been the control that has been causing the problem because it's is one of those situations where we are supposed to make an agreement on it. I have been trying my best to work with her but it's getting frustating. She is not really willing to compromise much on it, and our room gets so incredibly hot. At least in my opinion it does. Should the room ever get to where I am actually comforitable sitting in it (and by comforitable I mean I don't have to change out of my long sleeve shirt to sit in it) she starts complaining that the room is freezing, and as of late has simply started arguments that I am not being resonable or willing to compromise and that I am just being down right selfish. It is getting to the point where I am not really sure what to do, we have already had to get the RA's involved and we have to redue the roommate agreement but I don't feel like it is going to do much good. I am really trying to work with her and be understanding but at the same time I don't think its fair that I have to be constantly uncomforitable in my own room. 

If anyone has suggestions or any advice they can offer me I would be very greatful!

• Posted

If I could ask everyone is there a particular temperature where sensitivities and headaches and such seem to start?

I have been trying to look into it on different sites but I am not having much luck finding anything.

• Posted

I'm freezing all the time but I just bundle up. Fuzzy socks, fuzzy robe over clothes - hot drinks - my hands are like ice. Give her some fingerless gloves a d she'll be good til summer.
    • Posted

But the cold doesn't like cause constant headaches for you?

sorry I'm just really trying to understand everything.

• Posted

No. Although sometimes when my nose becomes like an ice cube it makes my sinuses hurt. So it's possible. Does she take iron with vitamin c? She should if she is truly anemic, then at least some of these problems would be on the mend with time.
    • Posted

As far as I've been able to tell it is just Iron pills. I mean I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it, and honestly I wouldn't even know what to say, but as far as I can tell it's nothing that has vitamin C in it.

If you don't mind me asking what exactly does the comination of iron and vitamin C do? This question doesn't have anything to do with my roommate I'm just really courious. This kind of thing is kinda facinating for me, how different suppliments, vitamins and medications work with our bodies to correct problems is just really intersting.

• Posted

Vitamin C helps the body absorb the iron. When I pick up my pills from the pharmacist he says to drink a glass of orange juice with the pill, but I just take the Vitamin since I don't like juice. However, years ago I had blood transfusions and was supposed to take iron but they didn't give me any directions whatsoever and I took one a day for a month then quit which probably led to my recent anemia. Now I take it twice a day but I didn't have insurance then so there wasn't pharmacist giving directions or any follow up. Anyway it's possible she doesn't know.

She also should know what her iron levels are? But then maybe not. It seems that doctors are sharing more info these days when it comes to lab results. I've been taking iron since July and it's gone from 2-44. So it does help and she should find herself in a normal range and be less symptomatic in time. Maybe she needs the attention. Maybe if she has a chance to talk about it for hours she won't feel the need to complain about the temperature because she'll get it out of her system - haha I have no clue really but hope it gets better for you.

• Posted

Vitamin C seems to enhance the absorption of Iron from the stomach. Orange juice has a lot of calories so tablets rather than juice are a reasonable option but most people take iron without Vit c and it works fine. 

You don't really have a right to quiz her about her tests or health problems. 

I don't understand the ' college dorm' set up. Not something I am familiar with in theUK. Do you have a choice to move dorm? Is there a tutor or person who supervises your group who can arbitrate and intervene or act as a buffer between her and everyone else. Are there others in your dorm who have an opinion?

• Posted

Of course that's only if she wants to talk about it - just to clarify. I just assumed that since her family says she makes up illnesses that she would enjoy discussing it and might be happy that you're interested. Who knows? It's probably awkward being put together and trying to weigh reactions and boundaries.
    • Posted

The way the dorm is set up is that the two of us share a room on a floor of the building, so inside the room it is just the two of us. the room set up is there there are two bed, dressers, deskes and closets with one airconditioner in the window. I have had a conversation about the situation with others on our floor and they seem to be agreeing with my position on it. On the floor their are two RA's (resident assistents) who are in charge of making sure everything is alright on the floor whom I had been working with to set up a mediation between me and my roommate to try to get everything worked out. However yeasterday my roommate went behind my back and got the assistent to the person who runs the build involved in the situation and by the time I had a chance to explain my side it was clear that the assistent had already decided what our options would be, all of them favoring my roommate. We do have an option if it gets to that point for the two of us to no longer room together, the only problem with that is that we would both be moved to different floors and while my roommate came to the dorm this semester and was randomly assigned to this room, I had specifically chosen this room back in March 2014, so that I could be with my friends and unless I have to I really don't want to leave my floor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.