Questions about ankle fracture

Posted , 8 users are following.

I broke 3 bones in my ankle and had surgery a little over 11 weeks ago. I am 50% weight bearing. When my foot is down it turns a reddish purple color from the blood rushing downward. I also have numbness still in my big toe and upper part of my foot. Is this a normal part of the recovery process? Has anyone else had this in their recovery?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

See a Dr asap to make sure it's oK. Purplish red colour normal. May take months to go. My swelling from original injury took 11+ months to go. Looks awful, feels scary, but if you've been checked, it will get better. Have you got a good Physio? That helps. Surround yourself with happy people.

Keep up R.I.C.E procedure often.

Good luck.@(*+*)@

• Posted

Yes it does feel scary. I see doctor next week. Thanks. Helpful to hear from others going through the same thing.
  • Posted

I'm 8 weeks and 3 days out from surgery and have had a similar experience. I'm told it's normal with this injury. My toes are stiff and my PT stretches them out to an excruciating but effective degree. It seems the more PT I do the longer I can be vertical without my foot turning purple. I hope it gets better for you soon.

• Posted

I still have the numbness and the swelling, my doctor said that this will continue for a few more months.

Hang in there it will get better.

Just keep putting your foot up to keep the swelling down and icing it and listen to what the doctor says and follow it.

• Posted

Hi eileen, I had the same thing happen to me - foot turning purple!  Honestly, it scared me when I saw it.  I immediately elevated it.  I worried that it would never stop doing that.  I worried that it would do that forever!  I am a worrier.  LOL  And mine got really purple!  Scary purple!  Noticeable purple!  Eventually, thank God, it did subside and now, I really don't have it any where near what I did before.  Before, I would have literally one white foot and beside that (if my foot had been lowered) a purple foot!  It was crazy looking and scary!  But it has subsided.  It took several weeks, but thank goodness, it's subsided.  I had some numbness around my foot too.  I may still have a little, but at least I'm walking.  I hope this helps. 

Beth

• Posted

Hello Eileen

I have the same thing hapenning to me. I broke my ankle 12 yrs ago and the change in color happened once in a while during and after the recovery. I just had an ankle fusion 6 weeks ago and that is hapenning very often. In my situation I get the reddish purple color from my knee down to my toes my Dr told me yesterday that was normal its part of the healing process.

• Posted

Thank you. It relieves my mind hearing this is a normal part of the healing process.
    • Posted

Yes i do too and then the color goes back to normal. I see surgeon next week for check up. Hoping for some good news so I can begin outpatient PT.
  • Posted

Hello Eileen -   I think we must be roughly on the same timescale.  I broke my Tib & Fib and dislocated my Talus jnt. almost three months ago and my surgery was 11 weeks ago today.

I'm now fully weight bearing and can ... providing it's not too far, walk without my crutch - say 50 yards which is such an improvement.    My foot still feels very strange at times and I have considerable pain still on the inner ankle joint where two long screws go through the bones.   The outer side which now has a plate and 8 screws is quite comfortable.     

But my ankle tells me when it's had enough at which point I try to elivate, and ice it with a bag of frozen peas.

My foot is gradually returning to it's original colour when down but yes, still is quite purple but not quite as bad as it was.   I have a mild numbness over both scars which I assume is the nerve damage caused during surgery assume ??   this will slowly return as the healing process progresses.   I understand it can take a very long time for the damage caused by this injury to right itself.

I'm 72 and have had private physio since week 3 - without it I'm not sure where I would be and have my Physiotherapist to thank for everything.

There are days when I feel everything is progressing very slowly but after reading the dreadful state of affairs other people are enduring, I realise how very lucky I am.

Wishing you all the very best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.