Questions About Cervical Screening: Am I Eligible and Is It Necessary for me?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I received my first letter today, inviting me for a cervical screening test. I have a couple of concerns and would appreciate some advice:

The leaflet that came with the letter states, 'If you have never had sex, talk to your practice nurse to help you decide if you want to have a screening.' I am still a virgin, so I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to go ahead with the screening.

I’d prefer not to talk to a nurse about it because I have autism, which makes me quite shy and anxious in social situations. Additionally, this would be my first smear, which adds to my nervousness.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you are a virgin and have never had any intimacy of any kind then its probably not necessary for you to have a smear test. Its OK to say you dont want the test. Can you return the letter with a short explanation written on it? That would enable your doctor to understand your decision. You should not be offered the test for another 3 years, but that does not exclude you from asking for a smear test if you are worried about something.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.