Questions about haemerhoidactomy recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I am 36, male and two weeks into a haemerhoidectomy. I am over the worst which is good. I have some questions about the recovery and some things which confuse me about my recovery:

1. I am not taking laxatives or prune juice as bowel movements are effortless, but I notice that after lunch (I go toilet after every two meals), I have a strong urge/cramps to go to the toilet. Prior to the surgery, I didn't have this and would go 8pm daily. Why is this?

2. Related to the above, I noticed that if i sit on the toilet after dinner and push, to have a contraction in my abdominal muscles (which is usually what happens for me to expel), that pressure or not feeling empty goes away. This is despite not passing any wind or bowel movement. My only conclusion is that my abdominal muscles are working differently post surgery?

3. Related to 2), as I have not passed anything (and before my muscle theory I have come up with), I may have a couple of pushes to see if there is anything to pass. At times, when I sit down on my chair after, I notice something seems to have "dropped" from my back passage but retracts again. The next bowel movement the next day does not highlight any complications from this behaviour.

Of course, I am trying not to strain as I don't want to undo the hard work done.

Could anyone relate to this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Not entirely sure I know why this is happening, but wanted to say I relate to your points. I am two weeks post op too and feel the need to go to the toilet more often than the usual once a day. As you have experienced, I dont always manage to have a BM. I'm seeing my surgeon early next week and will ask him his opinion on this. will keep you posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.