Questions about knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone! I had my left hip replaced on April 5 and I'm having my right knee replaced on July 18. I stayed with my brother for a few days after my hip replacement as I live alone. How long do you think I need to stay with him after the knee replacement? I know everyone is different. Not sure how mobile you are after a knee replacement. As always thanks for your help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How long is a piece of string I am one of the lucky ones and have decent movement and not too much swelling if I take things easy, I can do stairs and don't have too much pain which means I get good sleep.  Others on here are finding it much more of a challenging after much longer time.  I really applied myself to doing the exercises but did not force things. As I said it does not seem to be something to be predicted but it really feel you will need a bit of mollycoddling for at least two weeks as this is a really thought operation and the body feels the shock of it, let alone the healing process per se. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Cheers
  • Posted

Hi I am50 and had my tkr in march and am 14 weeks post op. I was discharged on day 5 ...a Friday and had someone in house on Sat and Sunday. After that, for 2-3 weeks, my husband rearranged his working day and was able to come home at 10 am (he starts at 6:30 to 6pm) when he was there for me coming down stairs and got me breakfast. My parents came at 2pm for lunch but apart from that I was alone as I could manage my crutches and had a downstairs bathroom so did not need to go upastairs again till bedtime. I could not have stood those first few weeks to make myself food but gradually became more indepentant. My husband took care of dinner when he came home. I would say 2-3 weeks as the knee is more severe than the hip and see how you go. Take care
  • Posted

Hi

I am 49 and had a partial replacement, I was in hospital for 3 days, then spent days at my parents and my husband got dinner for another week and a half. I am now 6 weeks post op and can pretty much do most things I could before the op.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi, I wasn't able to lift my leg by myself for the first week so I think you will need someone to help you for at least 2-3 weeks.  My sister has come to stay with me for 6 weeks as that is the amount of time that the doctor said I cannot drive.  I would have had to go to in-patient rehab if I didn't have her with me. 
  • Posted

Hi lizard. After 2 weeks I was ready to cook my own meals. I believe if you have enought groceries and someone to check on you by phone on a daily basis then 2 weeks may be enough.  Best wishes for your operation. Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.