Questions about Lithotripsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since an ultrasound shows a 7mm stone, I'm suspecting I will need Lithotripsy. I'm on Plavix , however, which I'm afraid will complicate matters. I'd welcome comments about the Lithotripsy.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scareddcat

***Important***  Tell your urologist immediately that you are taking Plavix

They may want you to stop using it for a brief period prior to you Lithotripsy.

You can go to YouTube and search for videos on Shock Wave Lithotripsy.

It can be informative and take away and fears or concerns you may have.

I have had this procedure done and for myself, personally, it was awful.  I had so many stones,

I had some major bleeding, passing clots also.  So having the procedure done, along with having a

stent inside from the bladder to the kidney, really made for uncomfortable time.  Of course I was given

pain medication and I had to stay in the hospital for two nights.  Having said that, Normally this procedure

takes about an hour.  You would go to recovery until the anesthesia wears off and then be able to go home.

You will need someone to drive you home and will want to rest for the first day.  You will probably keep the stent in for 2 weeks as the stone fragments continue to leave your body.  Remember that every person is different in the reaction to the procedure and the following two weeks while passing the stone fragments.  I've also had stone removal via  ureteroscopy.  Just know that the pain you may experience is temporary and that those stones will be Gone!  Hang in there, Stay Strong, and request pain medication!  Take Care  ~  Faith

• Posted

In the last year, I've now had a lithotripsy, uretorscopy with laser stone removal and the ER visit that resulted in six 4mm stones passing naturally (not as bad as childbirth, but close). My first urologist, who I did not like, performed three separate procedures for my first stone that I have since found to be unnecessary and costly. You shouldn't need a stent if you are having lithotripsy done, but many insist on doing it. My new urologist only places stents after uretorscopy because the procedure causes inflammation to the ureter, making it difficult to pass stones. With a lithotripsy, your ureter is not going to be traumatized, so passing the debris afterward should be easy enough. The lithotripsy itself is unpleasant, but they keep you drugged (twilight - you aren't completely knocked out). It still hurt a bit, but they were busy talking and not paying attention to my pain cues when the stuff was starting to wear off. Of all the things done to me, the two stents I've had has to be the worst part. If getting a stent, make sure they have those pills that turn your urine blue (Urabel) ready to go immediately after and the anti-spasmodics. Once they kick-in, life is bareable again...but the Urabel takes a while to be effective, so the quicker you can start it, the better. I had to take them as soon as the minimum time between pills was up to keep the stabbing pain at bay and as long as you do that, it won't be that bad. The second time I went in for it, I dreaded waking up because of the first experience. But I was more prepared and had the necessary meds ready to go. See if you can have the prescriptions filled beforehand so you can manage the pain more quickly. Waiting afterward for them to get filled is a beast.

• Posted

what drug did they use that you remember? I believe propofol is used here and like a colonoscopy, you won't remember anything. I wish I was allowed to stay awake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.