Questions about MTX and alcohol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm getting ready to take my 2nd dose of MTX 15mg for Lupus. I am a 57 yr old Caucasian woman diagnosed in February (onset was in December!). I noticed after the first dose I was sick that afternoon and next day nausea and diarrhea but it got better every day after that. No hair loss at all! The MTX just after the first week has helped this burning itchy hideous rash which consumed 100% of my body (now after a week 40% !!) I would like to have a glass of wine at the end of the day but have not this week. I'm thinking from what I've read that its probably ok to have one a few days after the dose? Has anyone had elevated LFTs as a result of having some alcohol while on this (occasional use)??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, when on MTX you will have your blood monitored closely. Each time it is prescribed, you should have your blood taken. You might find it helpful to take folic acid on the days that you dont take MTX.

Re alcohol, that is going to be a decision that only you make yourself after chatting with your Consultant. I still have a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend. The issue would be drinking/getting drunk every single day!

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you. I'm preparing to get my LFTs tested so that will be the telltale I suppose. I just meant a glass of wine every now and then a few days after taking MTX. I appreciate the feedback!! This is such a weird disease I'm still trying to sort out my symptoms. How has yours manifested itself during flares? This is all so new to me. I had a rash since December before anyone figured it what this was! Then it consumed 100% percent of my body. Agony! The MTX has now reduced the rash to my face (Butterfly not so bad) and my lower half. Weird but I'm grateful. My doctor is trying to get my insurance to pay for Benlysta. Have you tried that?

• Posted

I take MTX for psoriasis. It had settled, then flared up again. I also have steroid cream to use. Are you in the US? I have more than just LFT when they do bloods and I have a special pink MTX book to record my results in. On the whole, I would say that the MTX has helped me. I do still have wine at the weekend with friends. But that is my choice.

The main problem I had was nausea, but the folic acid helps with that! I take the mtx once a week and folic acid on the other 6 days.

Hopefully, you will find something that works for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

I am into week 9 of methotrexate and initially had severe stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea. I was taking folic acid. My Rheumy prescribed folinic acid (leucovoric) instead of folic acid. It does not require metabolism but otherwise similar to folic acid. This alleviated 90% of my side effects. For the first couple of months, I've decided to go alcohol free until my body adapts... originally my Rheumy said, several glasses of wine per week are no problem. Although most of what I read online says stay away from alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.