Questions about PMR

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am new to this group and asking quite a few questions for my husband. In the end of May, he started to experience pain in his shoulders and groin. It was so uncomfortable that he couldn't sleep at all. This has lead to 5 general practice doctors visits, 2 MRIs, an X-Ray, an EMG, an orthopedic doctor visit and 2 different blood work ups. Since we are now in the end of July, his symptoms have only increased. He now has pain in his shoulders, elbows, hands, knees, and ankles. His hands are so swollen that they look like he is wearing boxing gloves!! So far, his doctors have prescribed opioids which have done little to relieve his pain. He is so miserable that he cannot sleep at all. I can see how frustrated and upset he is by not being able to handle everyday tasks. Simply taking off the toothpaste lids hurts him so badly. This morning he received results from his blood work that stated he had elevated CPR and ESR levels. We are currently trying to get into a rheumatologist, but I was wondering if any of you have any any luck with any topicals or over the counter treatments to bring any relief while we wait? Any advice would be appreciated!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If I said what I'd like to say it would certainly be deleted so I'll try to be polite. 

I think you have been ignorantly and unprofessionally treated. None of on here, as far as I know, is medically qualified, but as other posts show, we'd have diagnosed PMR pretty quickly!

I was first diagnosed as having arthritis in the spine but when my ESR and CRP came back very elevated, my surgery rang next day and said,  " We know what's wrong with you", prescribed Prednisolone and the pain went within hours.  After that it was a case of managing the reductions. This is just a small Practice in very rural part of UK so I don't think it likely that they have knowledge unavailable to everyone.

Re the virus; it's often said that a virus can be a trigger. 

I well remember the pain and do hope your husband gets relief soon. Can you ask for another opinion?

I doubt OTC pills will do much to help but happy to be corrected.

• Posted

Trust me if I wrote everything I was thinking or feeling it would DEFINITELY be deleted! It seems his concerns are being ignored or being treated as though it's nothing. In my opinion, he has a very high pain tolerence so to see him unable to do a lot of everyday tasks due to pain is heartbreaking. I can't imagine the pain you all have felt before getting the right medical advice. We are going to take in information on PMR and steroids and ask the Dr tomorrow and hopefully he will listen.

Again, thank you for writing back. It's truly nice to hear that other people have experienced simliar things and how they got they help they needed.

• Posted

Be assured Julia you really are by no means alone. It took 5 years for me to get to try pred - within 6 hours of 15mg pred I was almost back to normal!
    • Posted

All the best and hope he gets the relief he needs, it took me about a month to get prednisone as I went to physio first thinking I had strained in my groin and back gardening and at the gym - nothing helped until prednisone.

Let’s know how you get on

• Posted

About the virus cause you mentioned...A month before I got home from a trip to Connecticut (important because of the Lyme disease bearing ticks and a few other tick-bearing diseases that originated in Connecticut in the 50's), I had a strange illness. I was in a camper parked at my son's house. I slept day and night, lost my appetite, was very weak and didn't want to socialize. This went on for a month. I drove home (Idaho) on caffeine (which I don't usually use) and made it by sleeping in a campground every other day. The day after I got home I tried to get out of bed in the morning and came up with debilitating pain in my shoulders. Thought it was from driving long hours. I couldn't get my clothes on, wipe myself on the toilet, or reach for anything. Wasn't diagnosed for 4 more weeks when I went into my GP with my own diagnosis from the internet. I haven't read too much about a virus starting up an autoimmune disease, but, it sounds like that was exactly what happened to  me. They thought it was Lyme's, or Lupus...they were on the right track, but, after my inflammatory markers came back highly elevated, my GP agreed with my self-diagnosis and started me on 20 mg pred. Only half worked. Eventually went up to 40 mg and then have been decreasing ever since. Down to 6 mg after two full years. Had three flares because my ignorant rheumy doesn't care about symptoms, just numbers. How many other people have had strange viral-like symptoms before the severe pain? Just wondering.

• Posted

"I haven't read too much about a virus starting up an autoimmune disease"

Many autoimmune disorders start after a series of factors has had a stress effect on the immune system. They may include emotional, environmental, chemical, physical stress and infections - but eventually one is the straw that breaks the camel's back and the immune system goes haywire and starts attacking the body in error. So it is not uncommon for someone to find they have developed an autoimmune disorders shortly after a viral - or any other - illness. 

• Posted

Just to add my tuppence worth, I'd agree with all the posts and force your gp to try a weeks worth of pred, if it didn't work your husband can come straight off it and if it does hallelujah, because it will be like that for him if it is PMR, and it certainly sounds like it!! So flipping eaay for doctors etc to say put up with the pain, wow it grinds you down, then include not sleeping! Please let us know how the appointment goes today, everything crossed he gets the pred🤞 Best of luck!

• Posted

How did you get on at the Doctors?????
    • Posted

Unfortunately, extremely poor. The GP wouldn't even look at the articles or the information on PMR and steroids that Eileen had recommended above. Said that my husband likely just pulled a muscle (he is in good shape, so far a lot of the medical "professionals" have assumed he hurt himself working out... I don't know any pulled muscle that lasts about 3 months or doesn't show up on an MRI or causes symmetrical pain throughout the entire body, but hey what do I know). He said he wasn't comfortable prescribing steroids due to side effects and told him he needed to continue to wait to see the rheumatologist. He wrote an rx for ibprofen..

So frustrating to say the least. I have gotten into contact with the director of the hospital, who ironically was diagnosed with PMR 10 years ago and was extremely understanding of the pain and the run around that we have been getting. He agreed that the symptoms aligned way more with PMR than a pulled muscle and has contact the rheumatology department for us to see if the Dr or NP can prescribe prednisone while he waits to be seen. 

• Posted

Oh dear, I am sorry that the GP would not even consider a few days to see if it helped. Hope you get a rheumatologist appt ASAP as the pain is quite unbearable and wears down the mind and body. All the best - I’m up as couldn’t sleep and muscles a bit sore 
    • Posted

Julia, Eileen is so right.

We need to consider firing doctors when possible.

I know you just stop going after another is located, but in my mind, I have fired a couple. It puts the patient back in some control. When the area is small, doctors scarce, this is a big problem. Even where I live, waiting lists are formidable.

MariGrace. . Hoping your husband gets the help he needs.

• Posted

The hospital director has been a huge help!

My husband got into the rhuematologist today so we will hopefully have some answers this afternoon. The director was also able to convince the GP that predisone should at least be tried, so my husband was started on 20 mg of predisone yesterday, which seemed to bring some quick relief.

Hoping this is the end of the bad news and that the diagnosis will bring some mental relief!

Again thank you all for your input and help. It has truly been appreciated!

• Posted

What splendid news. Hope your husband continues to get relief.  Let's hope it convinces everyone that they have the right diagnosis.

• Posted

I'm speechless which is probably just as well.  I'd like to be a fly on the wall if you hospital director and GP ever meet!!

Do hope you get some cooperation soon from someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.