Questions about right side pain, other symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, this is my first time posting.

Good news: I am 50 days sober today after about a decade of hard drinking. Have only been tempted once or twice to get a drink and it passes very quickly. I feel more like a person who doesn't drink than a person who is trying not to drink.

Bad news: What got me to quit is I started feeling a discomfort on my right side under my rib cage after a big 5-day binge. I freaked out and went to the emergency room and got every test done. CT scan, ultrasound, blood, urine, x-ray, etc. and the only thing they came up with was fatty liver.

Since then I've developed some other stuff - the most annoying thing is the frequent urination. I go every 30 minutes or so during the day no matter how much I drink and several times at night. The urine is normal color - light yellowish. It's a very urgent feeling and it's hard for me to go anywhere - if I see a movie I have to leave 4 times.

I have also had some muscle tremors - mostly on my right side - sometimes right in the liver area. A few times it woke me up in the middle of the night. 

Also have developed some itching in the right sole of my foot - there is no visible rash or athlete's foot or anything. It's in the arch and is a very deep itch that is hard to satisfy.

I keep freaking out and going to the ER or immediate care but my blood tests and liver function always come back normal. I eventually went in to get a Fibroscan which revealed I have the first stage of Fibrosis - a 7.6 on the scale. My doctor said that this is nothing to worry about and it's reversible as long as I continue not drinking.

However- everything I've read suggested that you don't get symptoms from fibrosis until a late stage. I've had pretty much everything else checked out - my gallbladder is fine, colonoscopy, endoscopy both fine.

Maybe I'm just special? Do other people experience these symptoms with low-level scarring or fatty liver? I thought these would have gone away by now.

I'm 33 years old and don't have any jaundice or vomiting or weird-colored stools, so I don't think I have cirrhosis but it's hard to get the idea out of my head. 

Next I'm going to see a urologist but I'm honestly out of ideas and exhausted from all the worrying and wondering what's going on.

Any input would be very welcome, thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim, have you been checked for a simple UTI, which is usually treated with antibiotics? Or has your glucose (sugar) level been checked?
    • Posted

Hi - thanks for answering.

Yes I've been checked for a UTI a few times - nothing there. I forgot to mention that I have occasional pain in the groin and my right testicle too. I thought I had an STD at first and got a round of antibiotics but they did nothing and all the tests came back negative.

I was thinking diabetes for a while but my blood sugar has always checked out fine, too. 

Tomorrow I'm going to see a urologist. I they can't tell me anything I might try eastern medicine - it's so frustrating not knowing after so long.

• Posted

I had unusual symptoms (liver pain, anxiety, anorexia) during the first 90 days of my alcohol recovery too. 

It really does take 3 to 6 months to get back on an even keel, but most X-Drinkers do remarkably well provided they don't have advanced symptoms (ascites, jaundice).

Keep the faith all will come right in the end.  I would avoid going on any antibiotics "just in case" your uro doc might prescribe.  Antibiotics are in fact the most common cause of drug induced liver injury.  If you have a positive urine culture, or possibly semen culture, then OK, but avoid any "poison pills" without a positive indication for them.  

Hope you're feeling better soon.  I'm betting you will!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.