Questions for GP

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm going for my 2 month review at GP this evening. I want to make the best use of my appointment. Although prescribed alendronic acid, I decided not to take it so I intend to ask for a bone scan and calcium supplement. I was also prescribed omeprazole but am rarely taking that because the 5mg and 2.5mg are coated - only 1mg is not. (is there a 1mg coated available in England?)

I'm wondering what other routine checks I should be having? Glucose check because of diabetes risk? There is a 3/12 average test isn't there? Any other recommendations/suggestions please?? Don't think I need any inflammatory markers checking as I am at the very end of a taper from 11mg to 10mg which I'm pleased with.

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hope the review goes well.

I was not able to take AA and just had Calceos ( Calcium and VitD ) for the whole of my eight years on pred. All was fine and hip op showed bone density was "amazing" so surgeon said!

I always took my pred. with a couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt ( Yeo Valley if you're in UK ) and never needed coated tabs.

I must have eaten quarts of the yoghurt over the years since a nurse recommended it when I had to have an endoscopy because my gut was miserable. ( I don't have shares in it, honestly )

Not qualified to answer your other queries.

but some who is will be along.

• Posted

Thanks BettyE. I've now been prescribed a calcium supplement. That was about my only success - no to bone scan, no to enteric 1mg and no to blood sugar blood test. Oh well, I tried. Better luck next time. 😀

• Posted

Yes - 1mg enteric coated pred has been available in the UK since August 2016:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/2077/pil

although a lot of doctors and even pharmacists don't know!

The 3-monthly diabetes test is the Hba1c - reflecting the average BS level over the past 3 months. BP and weight usually get a mention - but all these things should have been done since Day 1 of pred, as should provision of calcium/vit D supplements. If they get antsy about the AA - did they check your calcium and vit D levels before saying you should take AA? They should - says very clearly in the prescribing information. AA won't work unless they are both right and vit D very often isn't.

You probably need a general blood screen - ESR/CRP probably don't matter if you are feeling good although that is also a good time to check how low it has gone with all inflammation under control. That is how you find what is YOUR personal normal level - mine is low single figures. And full blood count - red cells, white cells, differential etc should be checked at least every 6-12 months.

But although I say this - I don't get much checked here where I live! 😉

• Posted

Thank you Eileen for your comprehensive reply. I didn't do very well! Asked for enteric coated 1mg - no, he says because it doesn't actually protect your stomach, it just means it is broken down later in the digestive system so keep on taking the omeprazole (which I do sporadically!) Also a 'no' to bone scan - he says it's not indicated and wouldn't be of any help. Take the AA now so that I don't regret not taking it when I'm older. (I've just turned 64) Also a 'no' to BS test - he suggests that is done at yearly intervals (I'm guessing it must have been done initially - end April). Success - he has prescribed a calcium supplement. Turns out that it wasn't prescribed initially because my vit D was slightly low, so I had a 3/12 course of vit D only, with which calcium is not indicated.

I find it hard to counter-argue what a GP tells me with such certainty, and I work in the NHS in a clinical role. Oh well, at least I'm pleased with my successful 11 to 10 taper and maybe my GP has the same mindset as your Italian - after all, he is called Dr. Fernandes.Thanks again.

• Posted

And it being broken down lower in the gut doesn't help protect your stomach? There are 2 components to it...

The BSR recommendations for under 65s include a dexascan and calcium/vit D supplements. AA if indicated by the dexascan. showing a t-score of worse than -1.5

http://www.pmr-gca-northeast.org.uk/assets/pmr_resource_9.pdf

I had been on pred for over 7 years at my last dexascan and there has been no significant change in density - still no AA.

I just state my opinion and back it up - and most of them given in... I've had the "you need AA" and statins and the rest. Still not taking any. I gave in and tried methotrexate - for 4 weeks. I wasn't sticking that for months to see if it might do something!!!!

• Posted

"I just state my opinion and back it up - and most of them given in..I just state my opinion and back it up - and most of them given in."

I'd like to be a fly on the wall!

• Posted

😃

It is always very civilised! One rheumy/rehab doctor I had to see to get physiotherapy approved asked if she could have my original dexascan results as she needed to consider what to do over bisphosphonates. I did give them to here and got a copy in return but merely said she could save her time as nothing would induce me to take them anyway - ESPECIALLY as my BMD had barely changed in 7 years on pred...

My real rheumy is very amenable - says he always learns something about PMR/GCA from me ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.